MND: No comment on U.S. aircraft carrier in Strait

rock45

I'm confused here Taiwan would have a problem with our ships cutting through the Strait's?

MND: No comment on U.S. aircraft carrier in Strait

Saturday, December 1, 2007
CNA

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Ministry of National Defense (MND) spokesman Maj. Gen. Yu Sy-tue declined yesterday to comment on the reported passage through the Taiwan Strait of a U.S. aircraft carrier en route to Japan last week after it was denied entry to Hong Kong.
According to a foreign wire report, the USS Kitty Hawk and eight accompanying ships were denied entry to Hong Kong by the Chinese authorities. The ships then headed for Japan on a route that took them through the Taiwan Strait.

Full story
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/2007/12/01/133169/MND:-No.htm

To the best of my knowledge the Straits of Taiwan are International waters, so what is the problem?

Usually, a US carrier passing through the the Straits of Taiwan is a "in your face" gesture at Communist China and a reminder that the US will militarily support Taiwan if it is attacked. Plus as tomtom mentioned it's international waters, AND it's not as if this is the first time we've done it. Why would Taiwan be displeased now?

Why

I can't figure out why it makes no sense?
icon5.gif

Usually, a US carrier passing through the the Straits of Taiwan is a "in your face" gesture at Communist China and a reminder that the US will militarily support Taiwan if it is attacked. Plus as tomtom mentioned it's international waters, AND it's not as if this is the first time we've done it. Why would Taiwan be displeased now?

It is not a matter of Taiwan being upset, it is a matter of mainland China being upset for the following three reasons.

1. Medal awarded to the Dali Lama by President Bush.
2. The decision by the U.S to approve and sell Taiwan advanced weapons.
3. China was conducting naval exercises in the area during this time frame, the U.S and China worked out a agreement awhile back that the U.S would get permission from China if they wanted naval passage through this area.

Taiwan is a very sensitive issue with China and it`s people, who feel that it is theirs and they are willing to go to war over it.

To the best of my knowledge the Straits of Taiwan are International waters, so what is the problem?

Agreed.
I think if the area is international waters or Taiwanese waters then the Chinese should be told to F-Off and mind their own business.

Can anyone tell the Chinese to do that?

Why not? They tell the world all the time to "don't meddle in their internal affairs." Seriously, the 2008 Olympics will be a joke. The IOC has done nothing to followup on China's progress on the issues they promised to improve for hosting the Games. :roll:

Back