MLB Postseason - Page 4




 
--
 
October 20th, 2009  
Rob Henderson
 
 
They were ONE OUT AWAY..... *sobs uncontrollably*


Well, go Phillies I suppose... *sigh*
October 20th, 2009  
Sevens
 
 
I know, Rob. I know.

Thank God I have football to watch since the World Series is going to suck.
October 20th, 2009  
Rob Henderson
 
 
It'll still be a good series... I just really wanted to see Torre stick it to the Yankees... *sigh*


As for pro football... I'm sorta neutral on it... The Titans are close to home, but they suck. The Falcons are doing alright, so I'm rootin for them... Lions (Matt Stafford) are suckin the big one... As usual, so I can't really be happy for them... And the Broncos (Knowshon Moreno) are doing well, but not with Knowshon. LOL
--
October 20th, 2009  
mmarsh
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
Ah, go buy yourself a sock with all that money and stuff it down yer throat.

Are you at least pissed off that they left Yankee Stadium?
Not really, Yankee Stadium was not the original statium. The first "Yankee Statium" was called the "Polo Grounds", and they bulldozed that in the early 1920s without hesitation.

Nor was the current Statium in its original configuration when Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig played. Yankee has been modified+remodelled many times since.

I had been to Yankee Statium many, many, times. I have to say it needed to go. It was old, and it was starting to fall apart, fans had been injured due to falling debris from the roof. Although the new stadium holds fewer seats the facilities are significantly better. More parking, resturants, stores, bigger lockerooms, State-of-the-Art-Scoreboard etc. It can also be converted for other events other than baseball, something the original stadium could not do.
October 20th, 2009  
Sevens
 
 
All right, Mr. Smarty. When you put it that way......LOL But I was still saddened to see Yankee Stadium go, original or not.
October 20th, 2009  
The Other Guy
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Not really, Yankee Stadium was not the original statium. The first "Yankee Statium" was called the "Polo Grounds", and they bulldozed that in the early 1920s without hesitation.

Nor was the current Statium in its original configuration when Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig played. Yankee has been modified+remodelled many times since.

I had been to Yankee Statium many, many, times. I have to say it needed to go. It was old, and it was starting to fall apart, fans had been injured due to falling debris from the roof. Although the new stadium holds fewer seats the facilities are significantly better. More parking, resturants, stores, bigger lockerooms, State-of-the-Art-Scoreboard etc. It can also be converted for other events other than baseball, something the original stadium could not do.
Gettysburg Battlefield doesn't look exactly like it did when Lincoln was there after the battle, but it's still Gettysburg, and wouldn't be the same if it was moved somewhere else. Wrigley Field had some issues with "falling apart" (which I saw firsthand, it was pretty bad), and you know what they did? They did this amazing thing called "repair work", where instead of replacing the entire thing they just fixed the broken parts! AMAZING.

Restaurants? Stores? Is this the mall or the ballpark? I don't go there to shop, I go there to see baseball. And multipurpose capabilities with great new amenities were among the finest features of Riverfront Stadium, Veterans Stadium, Busch Memorial Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Fulton County Stadium, and the Astrodome. But that didn't make them better places to watch baseball than the stadiums the first four mentioned replaced.

Yankee Stadium was The House That Ruth Built. It doesn't matter if there's a bigger, shinier place next door, it's still the most famous park in baseball. In a few years, they're going to do the same thing to it that the White Sox did to old Comiskey; quietly obliterate it once everybody has forgotten.

The first home run in the new stadium may have hit Babe Ruth's monument in the ultimate passing of the torch, had it not been for the netting protecting the marble monuments from cork and rubber baseballs. The mystique is gone.
October 21st, 2009  
Chukpike
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
Gettysburg Battlefield doesn't look exactly like it did when Lincoln was there after the battle, but it's still Gettysburg, and wouldn't be the same if it was moved somewhere else. Wrigley Field had some issues with "falling apart" (which I saw firsthand, it was pretty bad), and you know what they did? They did this amazing thing called "repair work", where instead of replacing the entire thing they just fixed the broken parts! AMAZING.
Much better to have an old stadium than a baseball team that can play?
What would truely be amazing would be the Cubs winning a world series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
Yankee Stadium was The House That Ruth Built. It doesn't matter if there's a bigger, shinier place next door, it's still the most famous park in baseball. In a few years, they're going to do the same thing to it that the White Sox did to old Comiskey; quietly obliterate it once everybody has forgotten.
It is a myth that Babe Ruth actually built the stadium.

They should have got rid of the team as well as the stadium.

P. S. I am not a Yankee's fan.
October 21st, 2009  
mmarsh
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
Gettysburg Battlefield doesn't look exactly like it did when Lincoln was there after the battle, but it's still Gettysburg, and wouldn't be the same if it was moved somewhere else. Wrigley Field had some issues with "falling apart" (which I saw firsthand, it was pretty bad), and you know what they did? They did this amazing thing called "repair work", where instead of replacing the entire thing they just fixed the broken parts! AMAZING.

Restaurants? Stores? Is this the mall or the ballpark? I don't go there to shop, I go there to see baseball. And multipurpose capabilities with great new amenities were among the finest features of Riverfront Stadium, Veterans Stadium, Busch Memorial Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Fulton County Stadium, and the Astrodome. But that didn't make them better places to watch baseball than the stadiums the first four mentioned replaced.

Yankee Stadium was The House That Ruth Built. It doesn't matter if there's a bigger, shinier place next door, it's still the most famous park in baseball. In a few years, they're going to do the same thing to it that the White Sox did to old Comiskey; quietly obliterate it once everybody has forgotten.

The first home run in the new stadium may have hit Babe Ruth's monument in the ultimate passing of the torch, had it not been for the netting protecting the marble monuments from cork and rubber baseballs. The mystique is gone.
Welcome to the new world, merchandising is a huge sourse of revenvue for the Yanks. As a matter of fact, the Team is run by two brothers Hank and Hal Stienbrenner, Hank runs the club and Hal is specifically responsible of all the merchandising. Thats how important its become. And the old Yankee Stadium simply could not offer what the newer baseball stadiums elsewhere could.

Furthermore there comes a point when a eighty year old building outlives its usefulness. Yankee Stadium is an enormous complex, its very difficult to keep a large and old building intact for so long.

Im sad, but change is a part of life. I am sure the new Yankee Stadium will be the home for the next generation of Bronx Bombers
October 21st, 2009  
Team Infidel
 
 
Ttttttthhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee YANKEES WIN!!!
October 21st, 2009  
mmarsh
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Infidel
Ttttttthhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee YANKEES WIN!!!
Now TI, we must remember to be gracious winners...

Yanks Win!
Yanks Win!
Yanks Win!
Yanks Win!
Yanks Win!
Yanks Win!
Yanks Win!
Yanks Win!
Yanks Win!
Yanks Win!
Yanks Win!


You see just like me!
 


Similar Topics
Dice-K, Red Sox Open MLB Season in Tokyo
Yanks' Bug Spray Among MLB Auction Items
Report: MLB Meets With DAs in Albany, NY
Defector Perez resumes MLB dream
MLB plans to open office in China