Mixed aircraft

rock45

Pale Rider I totally agree and I'm a huge A-10 fan I read a book about A-10 from the first Gulf war and watched every Wings I could about them. One of good points about A-10s that gets over look is time over target. They can spend a very long time over the battle field which is a huge asset. The new wings and other upgrades will have these find aircraft flying for years to come. This one aircraft I don't see the F-35 truly replacing I just can't see that happening because of speed issues, the F-35 just can't fly that slow and low. Plus I can't see the US Air Force or US Marines flying a $100 million dollar aircraft that low and slow, there are a lot of golden bullets in the world. I would like to see a faster engine for pilot safety added even if that means a little redesign for added fuel. I think with todays weapons systems equipped with better targeting slow is just too dangerous. Other wars or battle zones one might find an enemy with more hand held SAMs which would really change how the A-10 is used. I like the fact that with it's upgrades it can pick up targets a little further out and in all weather. Worth every penny spent and long over do I might add.
icon14.gif

Aircraft size

This is a Eritrea Su-27 and 3 Eritrea Mig-29's

Attachments

• MiG.29SE Fulcrum-C   & SU.27UB Flanker-B Eritrea MiG.29 and SU.27 Flanker.jpg
    MiG.29SE Fulcrum-C & SU.27UB Flanker-B Eritrea MiG.29 and SU.27 Flanker.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
J-10

Imagine one of those huge power AL-31 engines in a mid size fighter the Chinese might have a good thing going with this setup. Of course the radar and weapons systems are unknown and no one really knows if the SD-10 can hit anything but the engine is there. Look at the tail fin of the Flanker in the below post it's almost the same size as the Fulcrum's wing. China has hundreds of these engines and there aircraft been flying Flankers for more then ten years so they know it inside out. I wonder who might be there first export customer I don't think it will be Iran.

Imagine one of those huge power AL-31 engines in a mid size fighter the Chinese might have a good thing going with this setup. Of course the radar and weapons systems are unknown and no one really knows if the SD-10 can hit anything but the engine is there. Look at the tail fin of the Flanker in the below post it's almost the same size as the Fulcrum's wing. China has hundreds of these engines and there aircraft been flying Flankers for more then ten years so they know it inside out. I wonder who might be there first export customer I don't think it will be Iran.

Is this the same engine that China wants to put in their latest manufactured jet that they want to sell to Pakistan, I guess Russia was not to happy with this and it threw a monkey wrench in the deal.

Russian engine

Pakistan already has 2 in country and I think 4 more on order. A full squadron has been ordered the JF-17 Thunder the main hold up is radar and I guess weapons package. Even know Pakistan and China designed and produce this fighter Pakistan is looking elsewhere for the radar. The first few models will have a Chinese radar but, even a costly RDY or RC400 French made radar was looked into. I guess the Russian radar they copied or stole a few years back isn't that good or Pakistan would have already ordered it. This is why the Chinese version the FC-1 or there J-10 don't have buyers yet. The engine for the JF-17 is a copy or off shoot of the Fulcrum engine and the J-10 already uses the AL-31 real Flanker engines. Soon a WS-10A will be fielded in the J-10 but time will tell.

Isn't that a good picture of three Fulcrums and one huge Flanker a few posts back?

Pakistan already has 2 in country and I think 4 more on order. A full squadron has been ordered the JF-17 Thunder the main hold up is radar and I guess weapons package. Even know Pakistan and China designed and produce this fighter Pakistan is looking elsewhere for the radar. The first few models will have a Chinese radar but, even a costly RDY or RC400 French made radar was looked into. I guess the Russian radar they copied or stole a few years back isn't that good or Pakistan would have already ordered it. This is why the Chinese version the FC-1 or there J-10 don't have buyers yet. The engine for the JF-17 is a copy or off shoot of the Fulcrum engine and the J-10 already uses the AL-31 real Flanker engines. Soon a WS-10A will be fielded in the J-10 but time will tell.

Isn't that a good picture of three Fulcrums and one huge Flanker a few posts back?

Yes - I never realized that a Flanker was that big, experts state that it is a pretty good bird of prey, how does it stack up against the F-15 or Typhoon.

bird or prey

Pale Rider
how does it stack up against the F-15 or Typhoon.
Very good in a nut shell
Su-30 MKI India type is a little more modern design then then the F-15C frame and I would rate it mid to slower speed, where most air combat takes place a little better. In mid range fighting it's hard sneaking up on an F-15 from what I read still a nasty fighter with tons of power. What make the F-15 so good isn't the aircraft itself which isn't bad by any means but it's systems, engine, and weapons, all together on one platform, that make the aircraft if that makes sense to you. No one would say here on open boards where bad guys can read but I have a funny feeling we can keep the other guys missiles on there rails a little longer. Another little edge we enjoy big smile face
icon7.gif

The Typhoon is different design and newer then the Flanker and from day one built to defeat the Su-27 Flanker. A important point that's different then the F-15 where a lot of people over look and shows what a great aircraft the F-15 was and still is today, I might add. I read that a Typhoon can beat a F-15C hands down and so many forums. I wish a fighter pilot could explain to me that how does a Typhoon with a weaker radar and the same missiles gets into a better firing position on a F-15? How do you sneak up on something that sees you and can counter your moves? But in every forum it said to be better and there are some pilots in those forum. I guess they can't break it down on the forum how to beat an F-15 so I'm cool with that. From what I've read fighter pilots can talk trash about the guys aircraft big time they must have trouble wearing helmets.
icon10.gif

A friend of mind posted this I didn't write it I just want to be clear with that. PM me and I send you the link to the forum but he wrote:

From first-hand experience he tells that two inexperienced Typhoon pilots returned with big grins on their faces, after having 'toasted' the Su-30MKI. He says the Typhoon was too nimble and too powerful, and added that the Typhoons were not 'clean' either. He also says there's HUD video to back it up, but the MoD will probably not acknowledge it

Other factors
The Su-30 MKI as far as anybody can find out never used it's big bar's radar. It's huge and most likely the most powerful fighter equipped radar out there and has a very long range. The Typhoon has a smaller RCS so maybe the two off-set each other I'm not sure. Flankers and Fulcrums are both very, very good turners going slow so this Flanker vs. Typhoon match up is very interesting.

Back