Missing M-4 keeps soldiers on post - Ft Campbell, KY

Duty Honor Country

Missing gun keeps soldiers on post
Artillerymen put on lockdown, may miss Thanksgiving at home

About 250 soldiers with 3rd Battalion, 320th Field Artillery, are enduring their second week of not being able to leave the battalion area because an M-4 carbine rifle is missing.

"As of right now, they are on lockdown," said Maj. Tom Bryant, 3rd Brigade spokesman, in an e-mail. The 3/320th is attached to the 3rd Brigade.

"They will continue on lockdown until either the weapon is found or until the unit has exhausted every option in searching for the weapon as determined by the commanding general (Maj. Gen. Thomas Turner)."

Items such as weapons, night-vision goggles and other expensive high-tech equipment are considered sensitive items and must be accounted for at all times.

It is the Army's policy to keep everyone in the same place — without outside contact — until the item is recovered.

Brenda Bullard, whose husband is in the unit, said she worries he and his fellow soldiers won't be home for Thanksgiving.

Bullard said the unit released a few people, including a soldier who was recovering at Walter Reed Army Medical Center from injuries in Iraq, but it's not enough.

"It's been since the 10th (of November). Are we this poor at investigating things that we can't determine what happened to the (rifle)? The Army has at its disposable all these investigators, why are they keeping all these soldiers when they can narrow it down to a few (suspects.)," Bullard said in an interview.

"This is (Maj.) Gen. Turner's decision. He's going home every night to his wife, and he's just as responsible. He ought to be in there with them," she said.

"These guys just came home (from Iraq) in the spring. We were looking forward to the holidays. I have a 9-year-old sitting over here who has not had a Thanksgiving (with her father) for the last three years," she said.

If the rifle is not found by Thursday, the families will be allowed to bring in food and sit and eat with their loved one. As for now, Bullard said families are not allowed to meet with the soldiers.

SOURCE
-----------------------------------

I would be one very unhappy soldeir if that happened to me. There was one time where I was on lock down for missing NVG's. After 2 days, they turned up. Let me tell you, those 2 days sucked :cen:

A friend of mine who just got back from Iraq told me that they lost 6 NVGs either on their way to Iraq or on their way back. They didn't get put in lockdown or anything for it though. But along the same lines, I bet that kind of stuff goes a long way on the market.

We had a Second John one time who "lost" his M9. Lockdown Shakedown the whole 9 yards for about 4 hours until he thought to look in his ALICE pack. :?

Umm...all this over an M4 that probably isn't even loaded? I know weapons security is a huge deal, but to lock down the entire battalion over one missing weapon is ridiculous.

c/LtCdr said:
Umm...all this over an M4 that probably isn't even loaded? I know weapons security is a huge deal, but to lock down the entire battalion over one missing weapon is ridiculous.

No it's not.

One of the major effects of a lockdown is that after awhile if someone "intentionally misplaced" the item (so as to retrieve it at a later time or what have you, folks do strange things), they will feel more and more willing to "rediscover" it as time goes on, and odds are that SOMEBODY in the unit knows they took it, and the outside pressure to turn it back in starts building as well. These things are sensitive items for a reason, and everyone in that unit knew that this M4 would be treated as such, and were all aware of the consequences of somebody screwing the pooch like this, either intentionally or through oversight. It sucks, sure, but it is not a great injustice or abuse.

Back