The Missing Grader

georgerr

My Dad told this story about his time in Korea.

He was a US Army Corps of Engineers Company Commander who's company was providing direct support to the front lines. At some point before the cease-fire took place a chaplain came up to him and asked if he could build a chapel up close to the front lines. My Dad said no, but the chaplain persisted and asked my Dad if there was anything my Dad's company needed. Trying to put him off, my Dad told him they really needed a grader for building roads. The chaplain told my Dad if he built the chapel he would deliver the grader at the dedication. My Dad built the chapel and sure enough, the chaplain showed up for the dedication with his assistant driving a truck pulling a lowboy with a grader on it.

Sometime later, after the cease-fire, my Dad's company was shipping back State-side and had to go through an AG inspection to make sure they had all their organizational equipment. My Dad told his First Sergeant to get rid of the grader and lowboy, so the 1Sgt had a driver take it to the nearest depot, have a nice lunch, and then unhook the lowboy when he came back. Problem solved.

The really funny part is that years later my Dad was telling this story to some colleagues at the Engineer School in Ft Belvoir, VA when this Major at the next table turned around and said, "So your the SOB!"

It turns out the Major had been the Commander of the depot and was in fear of his upcoming AG inspection because he was short one grader and lowboy when miraculously it turned up back in his depot just in time.

I guess the moral of the story is, never trust a Chaplain. :m1:

Back