The Missile Miracle In China - Page 3




 
--
 
July 2nd, 2010  
Shmack
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naddoğur
According to the U.S. Navy.
Well, yeah, you're right. It's early for rapid-fire conclusions.
July 3rd, 2010  
Partisan
 
 
Schmack, very good point, but as monkeys have discovered, fling enough pooh and some will stick. In reality the missiles would probably be launched as multiple salvoes, following the general Chinese theory that quantity has a quality of its own. Even the best defended ship can only shoot, reload, shoot, reload so many times even as the threat gets closer. It could be a bit of nightmare, especially if you chose to attack from 2-3 different quadrants simultaneously, but that could never happen!
July 3rd, 2010  
Shmack
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan
Schmack, very good point, but as monkeys have discovered, fling enough pooh and some will stick. In reality the missiles would probably be launched as multiple salvoes, following the general Chinese theory that quantity has a quality of its own. Even the best defended ship can only shoot, reload, shoot, reload so many times even as the threat gets closer. It could be a bit of nightmare, especially if you chose to attack from 2-3 different quadrants simultaneously, but that could never happen!
Well, we're not talking about pooh, but about expensive and complicated high-tech weapon. If it's all about how many ballistic missiles the Chinese can afford to launch against a single ship, than i see no sense in discussing its capabilities.
--
July 4th, 2010  
Partisan
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmack
Well, we're not talking about pooh, but about expensive and complicated high-tech weapon. If it's all about how many ballistic missiles the Chinese can afford to launch against a single ship, than i see no sense in discussing its capabilities.
In warfare the objective is to attack the enemy fighting spirit as well as it's combat capability, something the Chinese know and understand as one of their own developed that philosophy.

The loss of a capital ship would be a severe blow on both fronts, to any nation. I was using the analogy of monkey flinging to point out that it is not the cost of the weapon, but the cost and capability of the target.

I would surmise that multiple cheap (ish) but effective weapons launched against an aircraft carrier would be a scary scenario for any boat driver, as has been shown on land, we ignore the low tech attacks against our high tech equipment at our peril.

I think that the Iranians have just been demonstrating that point with their recent naval exercises in the Persian Gulf. It acknowledges that they will take casualties, depite which they are willing to prosecute an attack, after all we in the West are becoming very risk averse to their minds, they just watch the news to take the temperature of a nation.

Ultimately the fact that the Dong Feng is being talked about means that it is somewhat viable, if it is viable then it is a threat, if it is a threat then it needs to be taken into consideration when planning any kind of naval operation. Even if it is not 100% effective, how many would need to be released to scuttle an aircraft carrier?
July 4th, 2010  
c/Commander
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMask
If they had enough chaff and flares to jam the automatic counter-measures of a plane carrier, they could eventually hit it with unguided rockets as it's a big target.
Nope. There are 2+ sets of Aegis-linked SPY-1 radars in every battlegroup, plus whatever other ships are carrying. You would need so much chaff to jam them all that you probably wouldn't be able to put a warhead in the missile .
July 19th, 2010  
Gman88
 
 
To get back on topic, I don't think China will invade Taiwan, whether they're indeed capable of doing so or not (and even that is debatable).

Among other reasons, chief of which is at the rate the relationship is warming up, there's really no reason for China to do so.
July 22nd, 2010  
Kruska
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman88
To get back on topic, I don't think China will invade Taiwan, whether they're indeed capable of doing so or not (and even that is debatable).

Among other reasons, chief of which is at the rate the relationship is warming up, there's really no reason for China to do so.
Hello Gman88,

I might say - that even if the relationship would cool down - why should China want to make war on it's own people? Taiwan is and has never been a threat to China - as long as the US do not "use" Taiwan in some capricious political games - China will never see a need to attack.

In case of Taipeh trying to invoke it's population against China - it is however very realistic to anticipate a Chinese blockade around Taiwan. Afterall Taipeh is a renegade government that established itsself in (on) a Chinese province.

Regards
Kruska
July 22nd, 2010  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruska
Hello Gman88,

I might say - that even if the relationship would cool down - why should China want to make war on it's own people? Taiwan is and has never been a threat to China - as long as the US do not "use" Taiwan in some capricious political games - China will never see a need to attack.

In case of Taipeh trying to invoke it's population against China - it is however very realistic to anticipate a Chinese blockade around Taiwan. Afterall Taipeh is a renegade government that established itsself in (on) a Chinese province.

Regards
Kruska
Probably to show military & political power. Where the Taiwan Govt. is the old Govt of China, or descendants of, I wouldn't say they are renegades, it's that they could only hang onto 1 of the Provinces of the Country they used to rule.
July 23rd, 2010  
Kruska
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Probably to show military & political power. Where the Taiwan Govt. is the old Govt of China, or descendants of, I wouldn't say they are renegades, it's that they could only hang onto 1 of the Provinces of the Country they used to rule.
Hello George,

maybe only from US geopolitical point of view?

When was the KMT Gov. elected? when was the last election? The communist party opposed the KMT and had undoubtedly the major support amongst the people - as such the KMT was also defeated. And if e.g. the Republicans would rise in the US to oust the Dems and a defeated Obama would set up a own republic on Hawaii and claims to represent the entire USA - I would love to see the Republicans reaction.

The KMT government had totally lost out militarily and in regards to support by the population - if the US had not been meddling in other's internal affairs - there wouldn't be any Taiwan issue at all.

Regards
Kruska
July 24th, 2010  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruska
Hello George,

maybe only from US geopolitical point of view?

When was the KMT Gov. elected? when was the last election? The communist party opposed the KMT and had undoubtedly the major support amongst the people - as such the KMT was also defeated. And if e.g. the Republicans would rise in the US to oust the Dems and a defeated Obama would set up a own republic on Hawaii and claims to represent the entire USA - I would love to see the Republicans reaction.

The KMT government had totally lost out militarily and in regards to support by the population - if the US had not been meddling in other's internal affairs - there wouldn't be any Taiwan issue at all.

Regards
Kruska
Elected?? You've just wiped out most of Russian (& the rest of the World's) Governmental history. How they got in power is irrelevant to the fact that they were the Government & ended up controlling one Province. Most Governments-in-exile are just an Office in Paris, London &, occaisionaly, Miami.
 


Similar Topics
Missile Developments in China, India and Pakistan: A Burgeoning Missile Race
India successfully tests n-capable Agni II missile
China plans to invade US!
new chinese sub fires ballistic missile: range 12,000km
China aids Iran's tactical missile programme