Missile Defense Critique Unbelievable

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Boston Globe
April 18, 2008
REGARDING THEODORE Postol's so-called expert opinion ("Troubling questions about missile defense," Op-ed, April 15): I don't believe his allegations that the Missile Defense Agency gave false statements to Congress. I have followed the program for the past 15 years by observing tests, reading congressional testimony, and visiting with many of the people involved with development and testing. There is no way that the agency could provide false data to Congress - there are too many checks and balances on retrieval and interpretation of testing results.
The issue of decoys continues to be solved. At this point in the program, the long-term ballistic missile threats are posed by Iran and North Korea. If these countries deploy ballistic missiles with decoys, the United States will certainly have the capability to deal with them.
It is noteworthy that Postol would indict the Massachusetts Institute of Technology as being involved in scientific fraud. I doubt that MIT would risk its reputation to conceal information or commit fraud.
I am astonished at Postol's allegations at a time when the missile defense program is being embraced by NATO, Japan, Australia, India, and possibly even Russia. It appears he wants us all to believe that four US presidents, Congress, Defense Department testing agencies, and our allies have all been deceived by the Missile Defense Agency and unscrupulous scientists at MIT.
LEO M. TERRILL, Mesa, Ariz.
The writer is a retired colonel in the US Air Force.
Editor's Note: The op-ed by Postol appeared in the Current News Early Bird, April 15, 2008.

Back