Miscellaneous about my trip to the US.

Italian Guy

Milforum Hitman
I'm flying to California in April. My buddy in LA gets married. mom and I will stay in Diego and LA for two weeks.

My questions:

1)Do ALL US companies employ the so-called air-sheriffs on flights? I'm flying Delta through NYC from Rome.

2)How likely do you think other attacks and flight hijackings are?

3)Mom and I will stay at LaGuardia airport for around 3 or 4 hrs before getting our second flight to LAX: is there anything we can do or see in NY in 1 and a half hr considering that we will be at the airport?

4)What major San Diego or LA highlights do you guys recommend for a 2- week vacation?

Thank you all.

I dont' know about the Air Marshals. They keep pretty quiet about their schedules.

Attacks and Hijackings. I wouldn't be overly concerned with. But thats me.

I know Zip about NYC Except for what I see on NYPD Blue.

In San Diego go to Old Town/Market Street, Balboa Park, Coronado Island. Marine Recruit Depot San Diego is there and they give tours of the facility. If you feel like it Tijuana is about 15 minutes down the road at the San Ysidro Port of Entry.

LA. I try and stay away from.

Traffic is so gridlocked and unreliable in NYC that you would probably be better off staying pretty close to the airport so you don't miss your flight. Subway schedules are pretty good though so you may be able to do something with that. If it were me though, I'd stay close to the airport.

Traffic around La Guardia is pretty bad at times. I wouldn't try venturing off and expecting to be back in time. NYC's definetly one hell of a place to visit though. You might get a nice quick view of the bridges though :shrug:

But 3-4 hours should give you a pretty good window to explore by subway.

I'd think that by the time you clear Customs/Immigration your time would be limited anyway. I know most Ports of Entry like Miami don't get in a hurry. But I don't know about La Guardia.

3-4 hours is not a long layover for incoming international flights in large US cities. By the time you land, offload, make it through customs .. you'll be close to boarding for your next flight. I would definitely plan to stay in the airport.

That's useful stuff, guys. Thank you.
Well I guess I'll just get a view of some NYC bridges, then 8) Yeah, I won't venture out then.
As far as Diego, that Marine Recruit Depot sounds cool. Definitely going to check out.
How come is that that so many of you don't like LA?

Is that a 5 hr flight NYC thru LA ?

im sure you have just as much chance of being on a plane which is highjacked as everyone else out there, unless there is someone who knows something.
i wouldn't worry about that and focus on the awesome time ur going to have.
have you traveled much?

LOL the only plane iv been on hat 2 propellers lol which tells u how much flying iv done!!!:D enjoy, it, just dont feel the need to crash into a remote island after straying off course a la Lost

Don't worry about the plane ride, just enjoy it. I'm (hoping) to take a plane ride to Virginia USA sometime in april. my only worry is my loggage. XD

Since they take everything away that can possibly be used as a weapon, I would worry more about walking around LA. I lived in San Pedro and North Hollywood in the early 60s and it was a different world then, nice. Oh, by the way don't carry fingernail clippers or cigarette lighters, they're illegal now. The Air Marshalls? Don't make eye contact and you're okay.

Thanks. Uhm, I've travelled pretty much, yeah. Been to western Canada, flown all across Europe. I fly routinely about 10 times a year national flights.
Alright I'll try avoid eye-contact with air Marshalls, then 8)

Italian Guy said:
Thanks. Uhm, I've travelled pretty much, yeah. Been to western Canada, flown all across Europe. I fly routinely about 10 times a year national flights.

My post, except for the LA thing, was tongue-in-cheek. I heard on the news that all the articles being taken away can be mailed by the owner at a kiosk instead of being destroyed. I guess that prize Zippo passed dpwn from Grandpa can now be saved. :)

Missileer said:
Italian Guy said:

My post, except for the LA thing, was tongue-in-cheek. I heard on the news that all the articles being taken away can be mailed by the owner at a kiosk instead of being destroyed. I guess that prize Zippo passed dpwn from Grandpa can now be saved. :)

Yeah I have some experience with forgetting to leave small clippers home :? Am I supposed to buy brand new fingernail clippers in every single country I go?? :shock: :) Do they think I'm a collectionist?!
Thanks Missileer, the kiosk thing is interesting, in case I ll ever need it.

Back