Minuteman III Launches from Vandenberg AFB

Secure What?

A Minuteman III is an ICBM weapon the the united states uses as a deterrent. (What it deters I don't know but it does!) The launch was one of three to happen in 2009, and landed near the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. This was pre-designated and pre-coordinated to launch and land, and it did not prove faulty.

http://www.afgsc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123165253

My question for you, is "Do you think we should have these test launches three times a year, or is it a waste of government resources?"

It's caused a bit of discussion at my squadron already so I'd like to get some other input :biggun:

A Minuteman III is an ICBM weapon the the united states uses as a deterrent. (What it deters I don't know but it does!) The launch was one of three to happen in 2009, and landed near the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. This was pre-designated and pre-coordinated to launch and land, and it did not prove faulty.

http://www.afgsc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123165253

My question for you, is "Do you think we should have these test launches three times a year, or is it a waste of government resources?"

It's caused a bit of discussion at my squadron already so I'd like to get some other input :biggun:

No, we need to do all three - they essentially serve as maintenance spot checks in a time when the Air Force seems to be having a lot of trouble keeping nuclear accountability.

CoughcoughMINOTcoughcough...

The purpose of the launch was to ensure the phases of launching one of these bad boys is on spot. But the thing is, if people are doing their job like they're supposed to it will never go wrong. But why three? It doesn't make sense to do three a year, only because of the cost to make one of them doesn't even exceed a need to launch three. It worked the first time why wouldn't it the second or third?

Because you can use three different crews and give three times the training? That's like allotting the Navy one Tomahawk per year and saying "well, we know THAT one worked, so I guess they all do." It's not like they're using live warheads.

The three they launched provide a better picture of what does and doesn't work than just launching one. Law of averages, anyone? If, out of three launches, the flight computer is quirky on one, the guidance is messed up on the next, and the MIRVs are having problems on the last one, then they check all three on all the missiles in the inventory.

Besides, it's not like these are really costing us anything. We're not building replacements; the missiles are already in the inventory.

You're right - I meant when construction started. And they do have to test the SLEP upgrades, so, yes - in a way, they're building a new Minuteman ;)

bush_axe_handle_lg.jpg

The much cheaper, more effective and easier way to maintain readiness.
Hint: for maximum effect, soak in water for seveal hours.

13, a simulator er is great for training. But only when you do a live fire exercise, in this case actually launching the missile, will you find that certain parts are faulty.

Personally, I like the idea of launching test-MRVs and having one or two accidentally land in NK.....

Constant readiness doesn't indicate "being shared shitless". It indicates constant readiness. What you think we should do is roughly akin to using a FATS trainer to replace all small-arms live fire exercises.

I believe due to SALT II all remaining Minuteman Missiles have been deMIRVed.

"In order to meet warhead levels set by START II, the United States has decided to permanently DEMIRV Minuteman III missiles from their current capability to carry up to three reentry vehicles to a newly configured single reentry vehicle system once the treaty enters into force. "Downloading" Minuteman III missiles from three reentry vehicles to one lowers the military value of each missile; reduces the likelihood of any country expending resources to preemptively attack America's ICBM force; and decreases the probability of future US leaders being force into a "use or lose" position. For a downsized force of 500 single reentry vehicle Minuteman III to continue to be an effective deterrent force, the guidance replacement program will improve the needed accuracy and supportability that is inherent in a smaller missile force. Peacekeeper missiles will be deactivated by 2003, provided START II is ratified and enters into force. Ultimately, a total of 500 single RV Minuteman IIIs will be the nation's ICBM deterrent force through 2020.
The Safety Enhanced Reentry Vehicle [SERV] program consists of modifications to existing hardware and software to accommodate the MK21/W87 RV on the MMIII weapon system. These modifications consist of the following: changes to weapon system software, changes to the RS to accommodate RV mounting, guidance hardware changes, and changes to support equipment (SE). The program will replace the MK12/W62 and MK12A/W78 (RV's) with a single MK21/W87 RV on 350 missiles. The remaining force will consist of 150 single MK12A's."

http://www.strategic-air-command.com/missiles/Minuteman/Minuteman_Missile_History.htm

Reasons for periodically live testing of missles is due to ongoing changes and enhancements to the weapons system.

I don't think I'd be the one scared sh*tless if a MIRV went kerplunk in the park across the street from Kim Jung Il's hootchy cootchy.

Back