Milunka Savić

Dzhordzhevich

I decided to open this thread because I think she deserves it.

Milunka Savic is born in 1888.She went in the Serbian army instead of her brother.She fought in WWI and in Balkan wars.She is recognised as the most-decorated female combatant in the entire history of warfare.

"She quickly saw action and received her first medal and was promoted to corporal in the Battle of Bregalnica. Engaged in battle, she sustained wounds and it was only then, when recovering from her injuries in hospital, that her true gender was revealed— much to the surprise of the attending physicians.In 1914, during the height of WWI, she was awarded her first Karadjordje Star with Swords after the Battle of Kolubara. She received her second Karadjordje Star (with Swords) after the Battle of Crna Reka in 1916 when she captured 23 Bulgarian soldiers single-handedly.She was awarded the French Legion d'Honneur(Legion of Honour) twice, Russian Cross of St.George,British medal of the Most Distinguished Order of St Michael,Serbian Milos Obilic medal.She was the sole female recipient of the French Croix de Guerre 1914-1918 with the palm attribute for service in World War I.She was demobilised in 1919, and turned down an offer to move to France, where she was eligible to collect a comfortable French army pension. Instead, she chose to live in Belgrade, was married and found work as a postal workerand gave birth to a daughter.Soon people forgot her merits as the political winds changed with the arrival of Josip Broz Tito and she effectively was deemed a persona non-grata in her own country and was forced into subsistence living - ekeing out an existence as a cleaning lady in a Belgrade bank.During the German occupation of Serbia during the Second World War, Milunka refused to attend a banquet organised by Milan Nedic, which was to be attended by German generals and officers.She was arrested and taken to Banjica concentracion camp where she was imprisoned for ten months.
She died in Belgrade on 5 October 1973. "

I think it's such a shame that we don't learn about her from our history books,and a big fail of our government.But what to except when she,with all that medals and everything in the end worked as a cleaning lady.

Back