Military of the world Photo #2 (Post Pics)

chewie_nz said:
just so you know....NZ isn't defenceless;

NewZealandPrepares.jpg

all we need now is hobbit'sis riding them.......precious

victortsoi said:
hey for the South African posters, I couldn't help but notice the um, homogenous composition of the troops pictured.
Are those recent pictures? Is the military more integrated now?
Whats going on?

Thos pictures were taken during the Border war in Angola. The South African Army as it stands today is almost entirely black and whites, especially Afrikaners, are openly discriminated against and seldom, if ever make rank above sergeant. There are a few Afrikaner generals that managed to hang on to their posts, but they are on their way out. I think I read somewhere that there are at least 1 general for every 500 troops or something like that. Too many Chiefs and too little Indians, eh? Our military spends more on salaries for it's officers than equipment!
Last week, the civillian Kommandoe units in Nelspruit were disbanded. This is a system where every town has volunteer ex-military men going on patrol during the evenings in Ratels and help the police fight crime. The Nelspruit Commando went places where the police refused to go and played a major part in crime fighting - eventhough they were military and not civvy police. The reason behind disbanding them? "They weren't representative of the local population" Remember that this is a Volunteer unit and noone is refused except if no military experience.
During the bad old days, there were around 7000 murders a year. Today there are close to 20 000 a year. To give you an idea, the body count in Iraq during the entire campaign is around 15 000!

AussieNick said:
Nick, howcome, you guys don't use Aug? Is it M4 better?

We do use the AUG, also the M4, they do different jobs. But the AUG is the standard issue service rifle, the M4 only gets used by a few units. M4 certainly isn't "better" or worse.
Ahhh I suspected something like that.
Aussie units tend to be very well trained from what I've heard. Good job guys!

the_13th_redneck said:
EagleStrike said:
OH MAN THATS GREAT :lol:
Is that a LLAMA!

It's sheep!

Plus that Chinese jet looks almost criminally similar to the Eurofighter!

Yup, they sure do...and all they could shoot down was a boeing and 1 A10?
shees, I think we overestimated the planes a bit....
Just kidding guys....
:D

Check your Sidneys. That aircraft is distinguish more closely to the (Western Designation) F-10 Vigorous Dragon or known as J-10 by the Chinese. The EuroFighter has more different airframe if you look more carefully. The reason it does look similar to the Eurofighter is because of the coating color. Everything else looks different.

Or perhaps you havn't examined the Eurofighter more closely.

Yeah probably more like the Lavi. Thanks a lot Israel.
Then again, the Lavi, this J-10 and the Eurofighter are pretty similar looking aircraft.

the_13th_redneck said:
Then again, the Lavi, this J-10 and the Eurofighter are pretty similar looking aircraft.
You are all right. the Lavi was an Israeli project that got shelved due to lack of funds. The J-10 is the Lavi design that the Israelis' transferred to the Chinese.
The J-10 is still far from complete and research and development id still being carried out. The Chinese are even using lessons learn't from the F-16 smuggled to them by Pakistan, in the development of the Lavi and the FC-1.

lemontree said:
the_13th_redneck said:
You are all right. the Lavi was an Israeli project that got shelved due to lack of funds.

IIRC...it got shelved because of American pressure...they didn't want a new competitor in the F-16 class.

Funny, the F-18 is a competitor to the F-16 class and is manufactured by a different company. :?
So is the JAS -39 Grippen (Griffin).

F-18 had a window of oppurtunity...ie it's a carrier fighter.
The Gripen is made by Sweden on which the US has an immensely lower influence than on Israel...IIRC after the cancellation of the Lavi project Israel bought F-16's at a subsidized price...correlates to influence mentioned above

Just to further illustrate the "Gripen story"...I think it was Finland who were buying a new fighter a/c and the US administration denied them buying the AMRAAM if they don't buy the F-18 (which eventually they did)

Not to diss the Americans here...they cancelled the F-20 as well and banned it from the export list...it was rumored to be better than the F-16 but the F-16 was already in service then...

OK let's just say it was so maneuverable they lost two a/c in testing due to instantenious G lock...and it was a heavily beefed up F-5.

Back