Military of the world Photo #2 (Post Pics)

Actually this is my Battailon (2nd German Air Force Ground Combat Supporting Btl.) and some of my closer comrades are amongst the guys on this pic. The Soldier with his son in front is the old Commander Lt. Col. Schwarz saluting goodbye to his men. He was a very charismatic and experienced Soldier, I personally met him once and got to talk to him some time- I consider him a role model. This was the Ceremony to hand over the command to the new Commander Lt. Col. Buß. That's not long ago but I got there only some weeks later because I wasn't able to leave the University sooner. I even got to talk to the new Commander then.

To the uniforms: It's German Air Force service parade uniform with the dark blue beret, only allowed to be worn by Air Force Infantry Forces.

Funny that you ask- how did you know theres a connection?

Last edited:
0507055a.jpg

040922_gal02_wachbat.jpg

Does it happens every years? I'd love to see that one in person eventually.

Unfortunately not. Its always very risky because in Germany the left radical threat against such parades is very high (that's why at the anniversary parade there were only invited guests allowed...). The upper picture was taken from the "großer Zapfenstreich" at the 50 anniversary of the Federal Armed Forces.
But sometimes there are some "Zapfenstreiche" eventually each year in different parts of Germany. My father was commander of a big Zapfenstreich in Würzburg to honor the closing of the communications btl.. I don't know when those events will take place, I could keep an open eye though...

A couple of the funnier pictures from my collection

Barracks rooms the day before field day
DSC00022.jpg

Duck Hunt, what better way to train??
DSC00025.jpg

The desk of a mans man lol
DSC00138.jpg

Dang TV went out again ;)
DSCN0028.jpg

Last edited:
Judging by the size and shape of the barrel, I would guess it to be a T55 or T62, not a T72. Excellent pictures though, if you have more please post them.

For those concerned, that picture was taken on a Sunday after a solid weekend of heavy drinking. Yes, NCO's and company leadership do still do inspections, typically on monday and friday mornings. That means that the 20+ "boots" in the platoon have Sunday night to clean the rooms. Thats why we had the rooms filled with one "senior" marine and a "boot". It's pretty much slavery but everyone goes through it and I see nobody putting any end to the vicious cycle anytime soon.

Back