Military of the world Photo #2 (Post Pics) - Page 12

--

March 3rd, 2005  
Damien435

I guess this is how I feel about the J-10/Eurofighter/Lavi airframe, "If it aint broke don't fix it."
March 3rd, 2005  
lemontree

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Yeah probably more like the Lavi. Thanks a lot Israel.
Then again, the Lavi, this J-10 and the Eurofighter are pretty similar looking aircraft.
You are all right. the Lavi was an Israeli project that got shelved due to lack of funds. The J-10 is the Lavi design that the Israelis' transferred to the Chinese.
The J-10 is still far from complete and research and development id still being carried out. The Chinese are even using lessons learn't from the F-16 smuggled to them by Pakistan, in the development of the Lavi and the FC-1.
March 3rd, 2005  
SHERMAN

Quote:
Thanks a lot Israel
Sorry about that. My gov dosent always think straight...
--
March 3rd, 2005  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Quote:
Thanks a lot Israel
Sorry about that. My gov dosent always think straight...
Well, Israel doesn't have much options in terms of making money it seems. I guess you have to do *something* to survive.
March 3rd, 2005  
rOk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontree
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Yeah probably more like the Lavi. Thanks a lot Israel.
Then again, the Lavi, this J-10 and the Eurofighter are pretty similar looking aircraft.
You are all right. the Lavi was an Israeli project that got shelved due to lack of funds.
IIRC...it got shelved because of American pressure...they didn't want a new competitor in the F-16 class.
March 3rd, 2005  
A Can of Man

Funny, the F-18 is a competitor to the F-16 class and is manufactured by a different company.
So is the JAS -39 Grippen (Griffin).
March 3rd, 2005  
rOk

F-18 had a window of oppurtunity...ie it's a carrier fighter.
The Gripen is made by Sweden on which the US has an immensely lower influence than on Israel...IIRC after the cancellation of the Lavi project Israel bought F-16's at a subsidized price...correlates to influence mentioned above

Just to further illustrate the "Gripen story"...I think it was Finland who were buying a new fighter a/c and the US administration denied them buying the AMRAAM if they don't buy the F-18 (which eventually they did)

Not to diss the Americans here...they cancelled the F-20 as well and banned it from the export list...it was rumored to be better than the F-16 but the F-16 was already in service then...
March 3rd, 2005  
A Can of Man

The F-20 was basically an upgraded F-5. I don't think it would have surpassed the F-16.
March 3rd, 2005  
rOk

OK let's just say it was so maneuverable they lost two a/c in testing due to instantenious G lock...and it was a heavily beefed up F-5.
March 3rd, 2005  
Redleg

Feel free to start a new thread about that topic guys...