Military VS Law Enforcement

JulesLee

What are the main differences.. I want to choose a job between these two..
Military serves the country and Law Enforcement/Police serves the country as well but its a smaller scale.
I heard Police has better pay and retirement than Military Like a HS grad gets paid 53grand a year first year!.. But military u can go and shoot bad guys and travel the world for free!

Last edited:
There's a couple of threads on here that discuss the differences in training, tactics, mindsets, etc between the military and law enforcement. They are as different as night and day.

As for how much you make in law enforcement, well, that depends on what department you're working for.

Police and sheriff’s patrol officers had median annual earnings of $45,210 in May 2004. The middle 50 percent earned between $34,410 and $56,360. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $26,910, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $68,880. Median annual earnings were $44,750 in Federal Government, $48,980 in State government, and $45,010 in local government.

-US Department of Labor

NOPD starts their guys out at around 25K. Where you work will depend on how much (or little) you make.

As for the benefits, well, civilian benefits aren't as good as military benefits, and generally military retirement beats civilian retirement hands down.

JulesLee said:
What are the main differences.. I want to choose a job between these two..
Military serves the country and Law Enforcement/Police serves the country as well but its a smaller scale.
I heard Police has better pay and retirement than Military Like a HS grad gets paid 53grand a year first year!.. But military u can go and shoot bad guys and travel the world for free!

I believe 03USMC is probably the best person here to answer that question. You might try sending him a note.

AussieNick said:
If America is anything like Australia, then military pay and benifits beat police P&B hands down.

Depending on the department, the pay doesn't always beat military. Military benefits are hands down better, though.

I was thinking about heading into the military, then when i retire, head to the police...I live in Madison,AL so crime really isnt a big issue...

The main differce is one simple fact. The Military is a contract while Law Enforcement is a job. You can quit being a cop any day of the week. But you can't quit the military.

I've done my time in the US Army, now I'm currently in the Academy to be a Police Officer. Average pay for a cop is $30,000 - $45,000 depending on the depatrment.

Also, some departments require folks to have either a AA Degree or a 4 year degree to even apply.

Both are great professions, I'd say do some time in serivce than become a cop.

i guess thats good too.. or teach JROTC after 20 years or so. I rather teach than get the finger by disprespectful citizens that i have served...

I guess good side of law enforcement is that you can see ur family more often.. while military is vice versa but you get to travel the world and learn whats outside your home town and meet new people and pwn bad guyz!

JulesLee said:
ah LAPD starting is 53k.. I was shocked.
Really? NYPD starting salary is $35-36k (before overtime), I'd have thought LAPD would be right at the same spot. Or is $53k median salary? Or starting salary with overtime?

JulesLee said:
i guess thats good too.. or teach JROTC after 20 years or so. I rather teach than get the finger by disprespectful citizens that i have served...
Don't forget -- even though you may get the finger, you're defending that person's right to give you the finger in the first place. I highly doubt it would happen, though -- the American populace has grown up tremendously from the Vietnam era and has learned to appreciate the service that the troops provide, even though they may disagree with an administration's policy.

http://www.joinlapd.com/salary.html
Salary

http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/06/pf/millionaire/rp_berretta/index.htm
Story..

lol yeah.. I talked 1vs1 with a cop.. i live in LA district so i guess their pay is similar.. he said he wants to retire in 10 years (so next year for him) at 48% base pay.. He told me not to be a cop.. long hours (his like an owl)and the department itself is more corrupted than the gangs they arrest.. He told me he gets yelled at etc by citizens when his on uniform..
So basically.. Salary is very high in these areas im guessing.
Being a cop in my town would be great.. No crimes lol.. eat donuts..

I know this is fairly irrelevant but after reading your thread I thought I would see the difference in wage between British Police Officer and British Soldier and was horrified to see the imbalance.

All salaries in £sterling and before tax:
Low rank
Constable(starting salary upon completion of training)- £ 22,770
Private(level 1 infantry soldier) - £ 13,424

High rank
Inspector(with at least three years service) - £ 46,320
Sergeant (infantry level 7*) - £ 30,940

*This was highest rank on DDLI webpage pay scale

No wonder there is a shortage of recruits in the British Army,how can you expect men to live on that sort of wage.

very true.. and police force gets bonuses also.. and doesnt have to miss their family as much..
I think there should be an evenness in the wages of the 2 country serving departments..

Really? NYPD starting salary is $35-36k (before overtime), I'd have thought LAPD would be right at the same spot. Or is $53k median salary? Or starting salary with overtime?

NYPD site has starting salary of an NYPD officer at (after the academy, 6 mons) $32, 700, after a year and a half it goes up to $34K.

I have friends with NYPD ESU that bring in six digits, but they also have to deal with a lot of BS within ESU as well as the NYPD as a whole. The OT is what makes their bank.

JulesLee said:
very true.. and police force gets bonuses also.. and doesnt have to miss their family as much..
I think there should be an evenness in the wages of the 2 country serving departments..

You are trying to compare the wages of two organizations that are as different as night and day.

Remember, civlian LE don't get room and board or three meals a day, they don't get the medical benefits or family benefits the military gets. They are not given living allowances.

Yes, a first year cop without dependants will make more than a first year soldier without dependants on paper. But he won't have the opportunity to bank as much money as a that soldier would. A cop will need his money for bills, a soldier won't unless he just feels like creating some.

Last edited:
Back