Military VS Law Enforcement

--

May 10th, 2006  
JulesLee

Topic: Military VS Law Enforcement

What are the main differences.. I want to choose a job between these two..
Military serves the country and Law Enforcement/Police serves the country as well but its a smaller scale.
I heard Police has better pay and retirement than Military Like a HS grad gets paid 53grand a year first year!.. But military u can go and shoot bad guys and travel the world for free!
May 10th, 2006  
PJ24

There's a couple of threads on here that discuss the differences in training, tactics, mindsets, etc between the military and law enforcement. They are as different as night and day.

As for how much you make in law enforcement, well, that depends on what department you're working for.

Quote:
Police and sheriff’s patrol officers had median annual earnings of $45,210 in May 2004. The middle 50 percent earned between $34,410 and $56,360. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $26,910, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $68,880. Median annual earnings were $44,750 in Federal Government, $48,980 in State government, and $45,010 in local government.

-US Department of Labor
NOPD starts their guys out at around 25K. Where you work will depend on how much (or little) you make.

As for the benefits, well, civilian benefits aren't as good as military benefits, and generally military retirement beats civilian retirement hands down.
May 11th, 2006  
Charge 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesLee
What are the main differences.. I want to choose a job between these two..
Military serves the country and Law Enforcement/Police serves the country as well but its a smaller scale.
I heard Police has better pay and retirement than Military Like a HS grad gets paid 53grand a year first year!.. But military u can go and shoot bad guys and travel the world for free!
I believe 03USMC is probably the best person here to answer that question. You might try sending him a note.
--
May 11th, 2006  
AussieNick

If America is anything like Australia, then military pay and benifits beat police P&B hands down.
May 11th, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
If America is anything like Australia, then military pay and benifits beat police P&B hands down.
Depending on the department, the pay doesn't always beat military. Military benefits are hands down better, though.
May 11th, 2006  
JulesLee

ah LAPD starting is 53k.. I was shocked.
May 12th, 2006  
Rob Henderson

I was thinking about heading into the military, then when i retire, head to the police...I live in Madison,AL so crime really isnt a big issue...
May 12th, 2006  
5.56X45mm

The main differce is one simple fact. The Military is a contract while Law Enforcement is a job. You can quit being a cop any day of the week. But you can't quit the military.

I've done my time in the US Army, now I'm currently in the Academy to be a Police Officer. Average pay for a cop is $30,000 - $45,000 depending on the depatrment.

Also, some departments require folks to have either a AA Degree or a 4 year degree to even apply.

Both are great professions, I'd say do some time in serivce than become a cop.
May 13th, 2006  
JulesLee

i guess thats good too.. or teach JROTC after 20 years or so. I rather teach than get the finger by disprespectful citizens that i have served...

I guess good side of law enforcement is that you can see ur family more often.. while military is vice versa but you get to travel the world and learn whats outside your home town and meet new people and pwn bad guyz!
May 15th, 2006  
AJChenMPH

Quote:
ah LAPD starting is 53k.. I was shocked.
Really? NYPD starting salary is $35-36k (before overtime), I'd have thought LAPD would be right at the same spot. Or is $53k median salary? Or starting salary with overtime?

Quote:
i guess thats good too.. or teach JROTC after 20 years or so. I rather teach than get the finger by disprespectful citizens that i have served...
Don't forget -- even though you may get the finger, you're defending that person's right to give you the finger in the first place. I highly doubt it would happen, though -- the American populace has grown up tremendously from the Vietnam era and has learned to appreciate the service that the troops provide, even though they may disagree with an administration's policy.