Military used multi-tools

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
I have a Leatherman Super Tool and a Leather PST-II. They served me well in the sandbox.

Sadly, Leatherman retired my two models.

Leatherman Super Tool
Leatherman-Super-Tool-Lg.jpg

Leatherman PST II
pstii_white_365_nofishfile.jpg

Does anyone here carry a mutli-tool or is there any service that issues one?

I always carry a Gerber MultiTool, not issued to bad... We get a knife issued, but after you cut yourself for the first time its blunt... Always fun to see the new recruits getting there equipment.. We tell them "watch out the knife is sharp" and stand ready with bandaids, and they are like, you dont need that... Untill they pull there finger on it to see if it is sharp.... :)

I do like the multitools, i think these should be issued standard, especially when your a mechanic like me, even tho you have a big case of tools the multitool always comes in handy.. I know i use it regurarly..

The Canadian Armed Forces uses 2 different multitools, one being the Gerber, and the other (for those requiring detonator crimpers) from SOG. Both are on standard issue.
I just lost my own Gerber, and I really miss the damned thing....

Dean.

I have a Leatherman Wave, Super Tool and a PST2. But my favorit is this one.
The Victorinox SwissTool Plus with wrench and bits. I add some additional bits and a wrench with a 10 on one side and 13 on the other. These two sizes are the most common in germany. It all fits perfect in the original pouch.
swisstool1yt.jpg

Its a little bit bigger and heavyer than the other Tools, but its the best i´ve ever had. Its also not very cheap, but its worth every cent.

I didn´t had it since my time in the German Bundeswehr, but it would be great if I had it that time allready because the German Army only issue a small knife with that you only can make you a sandwich or cut a stick to grill a sausage on a open fire.

There was a test 3 weeks ago in german TV where they tested several tools like the Gerber, Leatherman, SOG, Swisstool and a cheap one.
The Swisstool won in all tested categories.
A friend of mine bought the follow-up model of the SwissTool, the Victorinox Spirit Plus. Its also a great tool and its a little bit smaller than the SwissTool and more lightweight.

Greetz Joker

Last edited:
So Victorinox is copying the Leatherman too. Hmmm....

I guess since Swiss Army knives aren't selling in the USA ever since the Leatherman came out they needed to jump into the mutli-tool market also.

Leatherman started it and everyone else is just a imitation.

5.56X45mm said:
So Victorinox is copying the Leatherman too. Hmmm....

I guess since Swiss Army knives aren't selling in the USA ever since the Leatherman came out they needed to jump into the mutli-tool market also.

Leatherman started it and everyone else is just a imitation.

Its not just a cheap imitation of the Leatherman, Victorinox made it better in a lot of ways.

My first Tool was a Leatherman Supertool and I was hooked. But a few years later after seeing the SwissTool and its better workmanship I had to admit that the SwissTool is the better Tool(Maybe not for every job because of the shorter plier or the wrong screwdrivers or other tools). And something that impressed me a lot was that Individual springs hold each tool in place, when you select a function only that tool will be released. No clumping of tools, you just get the one you need.

And saying that Leatherman was the one that invented the "Tools" or came up with the whole "Tool thing" is not an argument that they are the only ones that know how to make a good Tool.

:peace:

Hey Joker, I'm not saying that the Victorinox made multi-tool is cheap. Just saying that Leatherman took a huge buite out of their market over here in the USA.

Leatherman created the idea of the mutli-tool. Victorinox came up with the Swiss Army Knife. Which is a good product. Just saying that since Leatherman came up with the mutli-tool idea. Everyone else is jumping in the market because of it.

Last edited:
5.56X45mm said:
Hey Joker, I'm not saying that the Victorinox made multi-tool is cheap. Just saying that Leatherman took a huge buite out of their market over here in the USA.

Leatherman created the idea of the mutli-tool. Victorinox came up with the Swiss Army Knife. Which is a good product. Just saying that since Leatherman came up with the mutli-tool idea. Everyone else is jumping in the market because of it.

:sorry:
OK, so I have to say sorry. I get it wrong. I thougt you meant that all the rest is just a cheap imitation and nothing can touch it.

:peace: Joker :peace:

P.S.
Just saying that Leatherman took a huge buite out of their market over here in the USA.
Same here in Germany because in my opinion a Tool is a superior item than a Swiss Army Knife.
Victorinox now came out with Swiss Army Knifes with a USB stick in it or an lighter.

Even in Europe, Leatherman is making headway. I got a Leatherman Core for Xmas (thanks to the forum members for the recommendations) and I love it. They are pretty easy to find.

I never had a Victorinox. But I did have a leatherman when I was in Alaska. I loved the little tool. It came in handy on a lot of occasions, I wish that I still had it.

Percival said:
I never had a Victorinox. But I did have a leatherman when I was in Alaska. I loved the little tool. It came in handy on a lot of occasions, I wish that I still had it.

I don´t say that you have to buy a pig in a poke, but if anybody will get the chance to take a look at a Victorinox SwissTool in a shop, check it out. I don´t say its a must to buy it or its better than any other Tool, but check it out if you have the opportunity and you will be positive surprised.

Joker

I had problems getting Victorinox products, so I had to go for a Leatherman :-(

In my experience the Victorinox is much better in durability....

Some time ago I've lost my Leatherman multitool - it was very good and handy.
Now I must buy new one so I will take a closer look at this SwissTool Plus - here in Poland it costs 400 PLN (100 Euro).

Last edited:
I carry a Victorinox "Tinker" as my everyday knife, It's the best deal for the price in a small pocketknife.

Also a great Victorinox tool is the "Spirit Plus". Its very nice, smaller, more egonomic and more lightweight as the SwissTool Plus. A friend of mine has one and we both think its worth every cent. BTW both are about 115 Euros that are about 145 USD. And if you want the additional mini ratchet you have to pay 15 Euros more.

EDIT: I just looked at US eBay and couldn´t belive my eyes. The Spirit plus with ratchet for 65$ + 7$ shipping.
Thats a hell of low price!!!

Here is the english webside:
http://www.victorinox.com/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=193&lang=E

spirit27ps.jpg

:peace: Joker :peace:

P.S. My Victorinox is called "SwissTool X Plus".

Last edited:
I use multitools all day long(not in a military capacity) and withouy a doubt the gerber is the best,
Have tried,lost and broken nearly all of them on the market and you cant beat the gerbers blade locking system,addition easily of torque tools and replaceable wire cutter blades.The only problem is the price at £95 a throw i've lost two and broken two im now using a leatherman to be price cautious,however it is far far inferior.:2guns:

As for the military applications of these multi-tools; when my unit deployed to the sandbox, the leadership specifically banned bringing multi-tools, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Could be a uniformity thing, but we're not THAT hooah, to ban tools like that.

Maytime said:
As for the military applications of these multi-tools; when my unit deployed to the sandbox, the leadership specifically banned bringing multi-tools, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Could be a uniformity thing, but we're not THAT hooah, to ban tools like that.

your leadership is smoking some serious crack man...coming from an Engineering Unit????

We have been issued a few different versions of Gerbers at the 101st. It's a must to tie it down for someone would aquire it. Give me a Gerber, some electical tape and 100 mph tape and I can fix a great deal of things

Back