Military used multi-tools - Page 2

--

June 27th, 2006  
Yoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
The Canadian Armed Forces uses 2 different multitools, one being the Gerber, and the other (for those requiring detonator crimpers)om SOG. Both are on standard issue.
I just lost my own Gerber, and I really miss the damned thing....

Dean.

http://www.army.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Sta...hab/2/28_e.asp
June 27th, 2006  
Percival

I never had a Victorinox. But I did have a leatherman when I was in Alaska. I loved the little tool. It came in handy on a lot of occasions, I wish that I still had it.
June 27th, 2006  
Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percival
I never had a Victorinox. But I did have a leatherman when I was in Alaska. I loved the little tool. It came in handy on a lot of occasions, I wish that I still had it.
I donīt say that you have to buy a pig in a poke, but if anybody will get the chance to take a look at a Victorinox SwissTool in a shop, check it out. I donīt say its a must to buy it or its better than any other Tool, but check it out if you have the opportunity and you will be positive surprised.

Joker
--
June 27th, 2006  
Grimnar

I had problems getting Victorinox products, so I had to go for a Leatherman

In my experience the Victorinox is much better in durability....
June 27th, 2006  
Venom PL

Some time ago I've lost my Leatherman multitool - it was very good and handy.
Now I must buy new one so I will take a closer look at this SwissTool Plus - here in Poland it costs 400 PLN (100 Euro).
June 27th, 2006  
Missileer

I carry a Victorinox "Tinker" as my everyday knife, It's the best deal for the price in a small pocketknife.
June 27th, 2006  
Joker

Also a great Victorinox tool is the "Spirit Plus". Its very nice, smaller, more egonomic and more lightweight as the SwissTool Plus. A friend of mine has one and we both think its worth every cent. BTW both are about 115 Euros that are about 145 USD. And if you want the additional mini ratchet you have to pay 15 Euros more.

EDIT: I just looked at US eBay and couldn´t belive my eyes. The Spirit plus with ratchet for 65$ + 7$ shipping.
Thats a hell of low price!!!

Here is the english webside:
http://www.victorinox.com/index.cfm?...age=193&lang=E

Joker

P.S. My Victorinox is called "SwissTool X Plus".
July 17th, 2006  
sven hassell

I use multitools all day long(not in a military capacity) and withouy a doubt the gerber is the best,
Have tried,lost and broken nearly all of them on the market and you cant beat the gerbers blade locking system,addition easily of torque tools and replaceable wire cutter blades.The only problem is the price at Ģ95 a throw i've lost two and broken two im now using a leatherman to be price cautious,however it is far far inferior.
July 17th, 2006  
Maytime

As for the military applications of these multi-tools; when my unit deployed to the sandbox, the leadership specifically banned bringing multi-tools, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Could be a uniformity thing, but we're not THAT hooah, to ban tools like that.
July 17th, 2006  
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytime
As for the military applications of these multi-tools; when my unit deployed to the sandbox, the leadership specifically banned bringing multi-tools, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Could be a uniformity thing, but we're not THAT hooah, to ban tools like that.
your leadership is smoking some serious crack man...coming from an Engineering Unit????

We have been issued a few different versions of Gerbers at the 101st. It's a must to tie it down for someone would aquire it. Give me a Gerber, some electical tape and 100 mph tape and I can fix a great deal of things