Military Uniform Trivia

Gator

U of B and B Alumnus
What makes an Army Engineer Officers Dress Uniform different than all other Dress Uniforms in the United States Army?

Hint: What it is not is this....

BDG109-GLD.gif

Or any Unit Crests or Lanyards.

Oh and Colonel, It's really not fair if you answer.

Nope, sorry Major, and I'd like to be more specific, but I don't want to just give it away.

Engineer Officers are still allowed something that no other Officer is allowed on their (your) Dress Uniform.

Edit: and Enlisted, as even I was not allowed this item on my Dress Uniform when I was an Engineer.

Last edited:
They have their own special buttons. (I spent waaaaay too much time on SuperTrooper.com when I was a Guard officer.)

Right you are Lieutenant, bonus if you can tell me what the Button says, super bonus, today only, if you tell me what it says in French.

You are right AJ.

Figured I'd get more time out of that one Colonel... damn internet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Without looking it up? No idea. But I found a pic online -- it says, "Essayons", which translates directly to "Let's try."

Here's one: which is the only US service that shares its major uniform parts with other distinct, separate services? (I.e., Army National Guard is not a wholly separate service from the Army.) And what are those other services?

Last edited:
Drats... foiled again.

You are correct of course Lieutenant, and in French as well.

This is....

eng2.gif

the Speical Button in question.

And the Button everyone else except Engineer Officers wear.....
armybutton2a.jpg

As for your question, I'm going to have to say the US Navy and the US Coast Guard?

As for your question, I'm going to have to say the US Navy and the US Coast Guard?
You're half correct; the US Navy is the only US service to share its uniforms with other distinct, separate services. What are the other services? (Hint #1: there are only two, and the USCG is not one of them. Hint #2: I serve in one of the two services. ;) )

NIH, I should have thought of the Surgeon General.

Is the other the Merchant Marine Fleet?

NIH, I should have thought of the Surgeon General.
You're very close; NIH is simply an agency of HHS. What's the uniformed service of HHS?

Gator said:
Is the other the Merchant Marine Fleet?
A very close cousin. The Merchant Marine Fleet isn't a full-time active duty US Federal uniformed service.

Lieutenant, since the United States Coast Guard used to be owned by the Department of Transportation until the Navy was granted control, and now owned by DHS, wouldn't the USCG be counted as a divorced agency until the Navy regains specific operational control during Wartime?

Hmmm, I wasn't aware that the Navy was granted control over the Coast Guard. In fact, if you read this on the Coast Guard page, it appears that they weren't -- it simply operates under the Navy during wartime (or if the President directs), but has always officially belonged to another federal Department (Dept. of the Treasury 1915-1967; Dept. of Transportation 1967-2003; Dept. of Homeland Security 2003-Present).

The Coast Guard's roots lie in the Revenue Cutter Service, which was founded on August 4, 1790 as part of the Department of the Treasury. An act of the U.S. Congress created the Coast Guard in 1915, with the merger of the Revenue Cutter Service and the United States Lifesaving Service. The United States Lighthouse Service was merged into the Coast Guard in 1939. The legal basis for the Coast Guard is Title 14 of the United States Code, which states: "The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times." Upon the declaration of war or when the President directs, the Coast Guard operates under the authority of the Department of the Navy. The Coast Guard later moved to the Department of Transportation in 1967, and on February 25, 2003 it became part of the Department of Homeland Security.

http://www.uscg.mil/top/about/

It would have read better like this...

Lieutenant, since the United States Coast Guard used to be owned by the Department of Transportation until the Navy was granted control during Wartime, and now owned by DHS, wouldn't the USCG be counted as a divorced agency until the Navy regains specific operational control during Wartime?

Back