Military Uniform Trivia - Page 3




 
--
Boots
 
January 4th, 2007  
AJChenMPH
 
 
I'm not sure I completely understand your question, Gator. What do you mean by "a divorced agency"? If you mean divorced from the Navy, I've never really considered the USCG as a divorced agency since they have two distinct, separate missions (even though they're both sea-based missions)...

BTW, what did you retire as from the Army? At least, let me address you by the proper rank.
January 4th, 2007  
Gator
 
 
I was Enlisted, you can call me whatever you like.

I address you, along with the other Officers by your Rank (if known) as merely a habit.

I usually don't start with the proper Rank name until the Rank of Captian (except for Navy) working all the way up through General. I call you Lieutenant because you're in the Navy, if you were still an Ensign, I'd just call you Sir.
Navy Rank of LTJG I just call Lieutenant, works out better that way, sort of like calling a Lieutenant Colonel a Colonel, and General, well, like Admiral that is all that is needed.
Army, Marine, and Air Force Lieutenants I just call Sir, either in person or like this online, as they are at the bottom of the totem pole, so, calling them Sir is, in my opinion, just the better choice, and works out better all around.

And I was just wondering about the USCG, as that would be a 3rd distinct separate service which uses Navy Uniforms.
January 4th, 2007  
AJChenMPH
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
I was Enlisted, you can call me whatever you like.

I address you, along with the other Officers by your Rank (if known) as merely a habit.

I usually don't start with the proper Rank name until the Rank of Captian (except for Navy) working all the way up through General. I call you Lieutenant because you're in the Navy, if you were still an Ensign, I'd just call you Sir.
Navy Rank of LTJG I just call Lieutenant, works out better that way, sort of like calling a Lieutenant Colonel a Colonel, and General, well, like Admiral that is all that is needed.
Army, Marine, and Air Force Lieutenants I just call Sir, either in person or like this online, as they are at the bottom of the totem pole, so, calling them Sir is, in my opinion, just the better choice, and works out better all around.
Ah, gotcha. Actually, I'm not Navy -- I'm one of the aforementioned PHS officers.

Quote:
And I was just wondering about the USCG, as that would be a 3rd distinct separate service which uses Navy Uniforms.
Interestingly, they have their own uniform. It's loosely based on the USAF uniform, but the shade of blue is a bit different. They use the same rank structure as the Navy (including using the gold stripes on the sleeves to indicate rank -- at least, for officers), but the actual uniforms are different.

PHS and NOAA officers (there are no enlisted personnel in the PHS or NOAA) actually buy Navy uniforms, then change out buttons and other insignia to make it their own; but from a distance, we look like Navy officers. It's only when you get inside 30 feet that you realize we're not Navy officers. You can pick out USCG officers from 200 feet away.
--
Boots
January 4th, 2007  
Gator
 
 
Will you get Veterans Benefits?
January 4th, 2007  
AJChenMPH
 
 
Yup. We essentially get identical benefits as the regular military. There are some minor differences (I think it has to do with hazardous duty pay, and whether we're eligible for it or how it's taxed or something), but it's otherwise the same. We're paid on the same military pay tables; even though I have two graduate degrees, I signed up for the GI Bill; I get to put in for voluntary retirement after 20 years; etc.

Man, we are going waaaaaaaaay off topic.
January 4th, 2007  
Gator
 
 
I was just wondering which Service the DVA was going to place you in upon your Discharge, I'm guessing Navy, but I can find out for sure next week.

I've seen Merchant Marine listed as Branch, I've even seen US Army Air Corps listed for Branch, but I have yet to see PHS listed as Branch of Service for Department of Veterans Affairs interests.
January 4th, 2007  
AJChenMPH
 
 
That's a good question, I don't know...
January 4th, 2007  
Team Infidel
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJChenMPH
Yup. We essentially get identical benefits as the regular military. There are some minor differences (I think it has to do with hazardous duty pay, and whether we're eligible for it or how it's taxed or something), but it's otherwise the same. We're paid on the same military pay tables; even though I have two graduate degrees, I signed up for the GI Bill; I get to put in for voluntary retirement after 20 years; etc.

And they steal uniform parts from all of the different services.... ain't that right AJC?
January 4th, 2007  
Gator
 
 
USCG has their own listing. Merchant Marine has their own listing, when called into Federal Service during Wartime, as they are entitled benefits for such. Those are really the only different ones left after the top 4: Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines.

I'm guessing the US Navy would cut you a DD214, but like say, I'll ask around.

I'll try and toss out a Uniform question to get back on track, it's kind of lame but it's the best I have right now.

Which Troops are automatically allowed to modify their uniform for their own personal comfort, as they they may individually see fit, at the any time, while working on the Range during Peacetime?
January 5th, 2007  
AJChenMPH
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Infidel
And they steal uniform parts from all of the different services.... ain't that right AJC?
Yes, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
I'm guessing the US Navy would cut you a DD214, but like say, I'll ask around.
Nope; the PHS cuts its own discharge certificate, but it's not a DD214. It's just a weird system. In fact, if you look on the request for military records (SF-180), there's a distinct address to send it to for PHS officers. (I just noticed that they don't even have an address for NOAA officers.)
 


Similar Topics
Next US President
Military Considers Recruiting Foreigners
"Triple Alliance": The US, Turkey, Israel
Few In New Congress Served In Military
US Army has new uniform