Military Uniform Trivia

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, Gator. What do you mean by "a divorced agency"? If you mean divorced from the Navy, I've never really considered the USCG as a divorced agency since they have two distinct, separate missions (even though they're both sea-based missions)...

BTW, what did you retire as from the Army? At least, let me address you by the proper rank. :)

I was Enlisted, you can call me whatever you like.

I address you, along with the other Officers by your Rank (if known) as merely a habit.

I usually don't start with the proper Rank name until the Rank of Captian (except for Navy) working all the way up through General. I call you Lieutenant because you're in the Navy, if you were still an Ensign, I'd just call you Sir.
Navy Rank of LTJG I just call Lieutenant, works out better that way, sort of like calling a Lieutenant Colonel a Colonel, and General, well, like Admiral that is all that is needed.
Army, Marine, and Air Force Lieutenants I just call Sir, either in person or like this online, as they are at the bottom of the totem pole, so, calling them Sir is, in my opinion, just the better choice, and works out better all around.

And I was just wondering about the USCG, as that would be a 3rd distinct separate service which uses Navy Uniforms.

I was Enlisted, you can call me whatever you like.

I address you, along with the other Officers by your Rank (if known) as merely a habit.

I usually don't start with the proper Rank name until the Rank of Captian (except for Navy) working all the way up through General. I call you Lieutenant because you're in the Navy, if you were still an Ensign, I'd just call you Sir.
Navy Rank of LTJG I just call Lieutenant, works out better that way, sort of like calling a Lieutenant Colonel a Colonel, and General, well, like Admiral that is all that is needed.
Army, Marine, and Air Force Lieutenants I just call Sir, either in person or like this online, as they are at the bottom of the totem pole, so, calling them Sir is, in my opinion, just the better choice, and works out better all around.
Ah, gotcha. Actually, I'm not Navy -- I'm one of the aforementioned PHS officers. :)

And I was just wondering about the USCG, as that would be a 3rd distinct separate service which uses Navy Uniforms.
Interestingly, they have their own uniform. It's loosely based on the USAF uniform, but the shade of blue is a bit different. They use the same rank structure as the Navy (including using the gold stripes on the sleeves to indicate rank -- at least, for officers), but the actual uniforms are different.

PHS and NOAA officers (there are no enlisted personnel in the PHS or NOAA) actually buy Navy uniforms, then change out buttons and other insignia to make it their own; but from a distance, we look like Navy officers. It's only when you get inside 30 feet that you realize we're not Navy officers. You can pick out USCG officers from 200 feet away. ;)

Yup. We essentially get identical benefits as the regular military. There are some minor differences (I think it has to do with hazardous duty pay, and whether we're eligible for it or how it's taxed or something), but it's otherwise the same. We're paid on the same military pay tables; even though I have two graduate degrees, I signed up for the GI Bill; I get to put in for voluntary retirement after 20 years; etc.

Man, we are going waaaaaaaaay off topic. :)

I was just wondering which Service the DVA was going to place you in upon your Discharge, I'm guessing Navy, but I can find out for sure next week.

I've seen Merchant Marine listed as Branch, I've even seen US Army Air Corps listed for Branch, but I have yet to see PHS listed as Branch of Service for Department of Veterans Affairs interests.

Yup. We essentially get identical benefits as the regular military. There are some minor differences (I think it has to do with hazardous duty pay, and whether we're eligible for it or how it's taxed or something), but it's otherwise the same. We're paid on the same military pay tables; even though I have two graduate degrees, I signed up for the GI Bill; I get to put in for voluntary retirement after 20 years; etc.
:)

And they steal uniform parts from all of the different services.... ain't that right AJC?

USCG has their own listing. Merchant Marine has their own listing, when called into Federal Service during Wartime, as they are entitled benefits for such. Those are really the only different ones left after the top 4: Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines.

I'm guessing the US Navy would cut you a DD214, but like say, I'll ask around.

I'll try and toss out a Uniform question to get back on track, it's kind of lame but it's the best I have right now.

Which Troops are automatically allowed to modify their uniform for their own personal comfort, as they they may individually see fit, at the any time, while working on the Range during Peacetime?

And they steal uniform parts from all of the different services.... ain't that right AJC?
Yes, sir! :salute2:

I'm guessing the US Navy would cut you a DD214, but like say, I'll ask around.
Nope; the PHS cuts its own discharge certificate, but it's not a DD214. It's just a weird system. In fact, if you look on the request for military records (SF-180), there's a distinct address to send it to for PHS officers. (I just noticed that they don't even have an address for NOAA officers.)

Bump! What's the answer, Gator?

As for your question, I'm going to have to say the US Navy and the US Coast Guard?
Upon reflection, I realized that you're also correct with USCG. It turns out that when PHS officers are assigned/detailed to USCG, we wear the USCG uniform (again, with minor changes to buttons, insignia, etc.).

LOL, that's actually changed -- we just updated our grooming standards to be in line with the Navy. Hence, no more beards and long hair. :)

Full dress uniform... Highlanders.

I'm going to try to revive this thread.

In the British and the Canadian military tradition, the Highlanders wear a number of unique bits of kit, that are not seen elsewhere, on their full dress uniforms. The kilt is the most obvious item, but there are a number of others, that may be seen, depending on which Highland unit's uniform you are looking at.

Now the first questions..... What is a Glengarry bonnet ? What is a feather bonnet ?

How much cloth is in a military kilt, in feet ? What is worn under a military kilt ?

Your answers ?

Jim B. Toronto.

Glengarry is a flat cap similar to an overseas cap with a tarten band

Feather is similar to a Bearskin Shako with Feather Pom attached

Guessing 12 to 14 feet

Never looked.....but an old Seaforth told me ......nothing

I saw a photo of a dude in kilt and the wind blowing. Wasn't wearing anything underneath and I don't think heat's a problem in Scotland.

kiltmajor.jpeg

next_to_queen.jpg

03USMC:

You got the Glenngarry and the feather bonnet right.

In 1970 my issue feather bonnet was kind of old, made in 1921....

The photo of the highlanders, with the Queen, shows the Glenngary bonnet.

A military kilt has about 10 feet of material in it, as the sides and back of it are half inch pleats. The bottom hem is woven, not stiched, so the kilt is made to the man's measurements. The hem should be just above the knee cap.

The officer sitting to the left of the Queen hasn't quite mastered the art of sitting down, while wearing one.

A further question about highlanders uniform bits......

What is the " little black knife" called in Gaelic ?

And what does the Regimental Sargeant Major carry on his hip, on ceremonial occasions, that relates to carving a roast of meat ?

Jim B. Toronto.

Back