Military Tests Portable Translators - Page 2

--

December 28th, 2006  
major liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy
Yes,I know it.
Translation is very difficult.
I think we should take sandy's word on this one. No computer is going to be able to translate Japanese to perfect English for a long, long time.
December 29th, 2006  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by major liability
I think we should take sandy's word on this one. No computer is going to be able to translate Japanese to perfect English for a long, long time.
Says who?
December 31st, 2006  
A Can of Man

Translation is hard in that you also have to translate figures of speech. i.e... something as innocent as "Catching a cold." In Korean it is in fact expressed as "getting hooked by a cold."
In German you'd have "Wie gehen sie?" which would translate directly as "how goes you?"
And those are the easy bits. And consider this. In German your main verb comes at the END of the sentence which means this "live" translator couldn't possibly translate it well until the sentence was finished.
"Ich soll zu die Markt gehen." = "I should to the market go." But what if it was "to run?" "Ich soll zu die Markt laufen." And what if the translator assumed it was "to go" and not to "run"? And mind you this is just English to German which happens to be a very closely related language.
So in other words, you can't really do a "LIVE" without knowing firsthand what the guy's going to say.
Personally I don't know HOW the guys at the UN and stuff do it because they seem to be doing it live. Maybe there's a certain way to talk that will not confuse the translators.
Again, I say the issue is, the key word that needs translation does not appear when it needs to be said in English, which makes a real live translation REAL tricky.
What you COULD have is a center full of dudes who speak the language and basically whenever a unit on patrol is in need of a translator, they call up that unit and have a translator assigned to them until the conversation ends. That's current technology and a lot of tired bilingual people though.
--