Military Tactical Shirts

zander_0633

Milforum Gnat
I was wondering, the brand 5.11 Tactical, I heard they sell good quality tactical shirts to law enforcement officers! I would like to know is there any other brand of tactical clothes available.

I am also very interested in tactical short-sleeved shirts.
71152_018_lg.jpg

Any idea if there is any other brands of clothes which sells tactical shirts comparable with 5.11's Men tactical short sleeve shirt?[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]​

Currently I'm stuck wearing "Urban Defender" Tactical BDU's made by Fechheimer for 12 hours a day. While comfortable, the quality is pretty poor. Buttons are falling off all the time, they fade pretty quickly, and the cargo pockets on the legs are about impossible to get into one-handed. I would stay clear.
I have heard that 5.11 is quality gear, but I've never seen the stuff first hand so I couldn't say for sure.

Forrest_Gump said:
Currently I'm stuck wearing "Urban Defender" Tactical BDU's made by Fechheimer for 12 hours a day. While comfortable, the quality is pretty poor. Buttons are falling off all the time, they fade pretty quickly, and the cargo pockets on the legs are about impossible to get into one-handed. I would stay clear.
I have heard that 5.11 is quality gear, but I've never seen the stuff first hand so I couldn't say for sure.

You said the colour is fading? Is it like from black to grey? BTW, are you from any Police Department? IF yes can I know what is the quality of the standard police tactical shirts? Thanks!

My Agency switched from a standard Light Blue Shirt/Dark Blue Pants to a Tactical Uniform in what is known as "LAPD Blue". This shade of blue is dark to the point that it looks black, even when next to the Navy Blue Tactical Uniform of another Department that we work closley with.

The problem is, that in the few months since the switch, many of the uniforms are quickly fading to a Navy Blue overall, and along pocket flaps and the like, they're fading towards a much lighter shade of blue.

Here is where we really need to define "Tactical", since it's one of those words manufacturers tend to use more for the public than anything else. True Tactical uniforms are made for combat, and generally fall along the lines of US BDU styling, sometimes with an extra bell or whistle (like the spare mag pocket sewn on the outside of the cargo pocket on my right leg). Most agency's don't wear Tactical Uniforms on a daily basis. There are exceptions, mine is one. Most of the time you'll only see specialized Officers such as K-9, SWAT, HRT and the like wearing Tactical Uniforms.

As for quality, its all about how much money your agency has to spend. Police uniforms pretty much run from KMart quality to Saville Row (I may be exagerating a bit, but you get the point). My Agency is toward the bottom, hence the already mentioned uninspiring quality.

I just went to the Fechheimer website. They said that they have made uniforms since 1800s. It must be a brand that is established very long. WAd about Tru-Spec or Propper? Are the above mentioned brands good?

Fechheimer has been around since thread was invented. Some of their stuff is very high quality, some...well like I said it depends on how many $$$'s you want to spend.

Before we transitioned to a full blown Tactical Uniform, we had the option to wear Propper's BDU pants instead of the standard uniform pants. I loved those pants, and can't say a bad word about them. Just don't let the beancounter know that I never turned them in during transition. Did I say I liked those pants? They were pretty much the same thing Uncle Sam gave me, just a different color.

Tru-spec is suppose to be the exact same stuff as issued to the US Military. I've never bought anything under the Tru-Spec label so I really couldn't tell you if that's true. But they seem to have a pretty good rep.

the AF doesn't supply us cadets with BDU's so i buy proppers and tru-specs. i like the tru-spec better because they sew a little bit tighter. less hanging threads to worry about during inspection ;)

Back