military slang

OORAH

I have heard some of these terms in movies, or on other forums on this site. I think I know what they mean, but never say them becuase I'm not exactly sure. Can somebudy please explain the folowing:

Snafu, Fubar

thanks

hoohaa310 said:
I have heard some of these terms in movies, or on other forums on this site. I think I know what they mean, but never say them becuase I'm not exactly sure. Can somebudy please explain the folowing:

Snafu, Fubar

thanks

Snafu - Situation Normal All Fouled Up
Fubar - Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition

A few others:

HABU = Hook a brother up
SITFU = Suck it the F*** up
BOHICA = Bend over here it comes again

These are some that I have heard in use around my work section. Not sure if they are in popular use.

thanks, anybody else with any militaryslang can add it in this thread, dont know if there is already a thread for it..........

:rambo:

This collection of Slang Dictionaries presents you with a vast array of slang words and expressions, ranging from older and internationally recognized slang's to modern day coinages, colloquialisms, vulgarities and many other substandard usages of the English language. Delight yourself by browsing through this dictionary of slang's and learn some new slang words which show colloquial expressions make the vernacular vocabulary of any language more colorful. Brings you concise and to-the point definitions and supplies you with the indispensable knowledge to cope with this baffling side of American English.

:tank:

"0815": everything is as usual
(referring to a great military movie about WW2: '08/15', 1954 West Germany)

I overheard my husband talking to another veteran a while back... they both used the term "split tail"... Is this term meant to be derogatory, or is it just "a term"?

Last edited:
I figured that it meant female... but didn't know if it was a commonly used phrase, or if it was meant to be derogatory. The phrase I over-heard was, "a split-tail screwed me" they were talking about promotions, if that helps.

LOL OK... I guess two Marines talking about the good old days of Desert Storm were before the days of being PC.

That makes sense.

Thank you.

Back