military single parent

Csloan

hi, I am a 22 year old female and my dream has always been to join the military. I want to serve my country and make a difference in this world the most i can. I was in the process of enlisting and then got the news i was pregnant. I have chosen to keep the father out of the picture but i have plenty of friends and family willing to step in and help me out. I am currently going to school to be a paramedic. This is what i would love to do in the military. Yet I am now going to have a child. I plan on if I can join to join when I get my associates degree so I can become an officer. Now what I am asking is how would i go about this? with having a child i know i would need somebody to take care of them during bootcamp. but after that could I have my child live with me on base? Could i do this as a single parent? I know if i get deployed I would need somebody to take care of my child which I have my parents that want to help. and which branch would you recommend being in as a single parent? Do you think this is doable? the military is my dream and i want my child to have the best life possible. so if anybody has ever gone through this or know somebody who has or just knows about these situations i would love to hear about it. thanks.

hi, I am a 22 year old female and my dream has always been to join the military. I want to serve my country and make a difference in this world the most i can. I was in the process of enlisting and then got the news i was pregnant. I have chosen to keep the father out of the picture but i have plenty of friends and family willing to step in and help me out. I am currently going to school to be a paramedic. This is what i would love to do in the military. Yet I am now going to have a child. I plan on if I can join to join when I get my associates degree so I can become an officer. Now what I am asking is how would i go about this? with having a child i know i would need somebody to take care of them during bootcamp. but after that could I have my child live with me on base? Could i do this as a single parent? I know if i get deployed I would need somebody to take care of my child which I have my parents that want to help. and which branch would you recommend being in as a single parent? Do you think this is doable? the military is my dream and i want my child to have the best life possible. so if anybody has ever gone through this or know somebody who has or just knows about these situations i would love to hear about it. thanks. .

The military is always seeking medical personnel at all levels but, while it has been a long time since I recruited, I know of no service which will commission you with just an Associate degree (unless, maybe, you had a lot of experience in the field). This does not mean you cannot be commissioned later

I know some schools and programs will certify you as a RN after two years but as of 1992 the military does not recognize these certifications on face value. I learned this the hard way. I got a two year certification and tried to get back in the Army (I was a retired MSG, there is no age limit for Dr's and Nurses) but it was a no go. They would only recognize a 4 year degreed RN.

You could get in, and maybe with an advanced grade, but probably not a commission. You may have to get you babies father sign some documents giving up his parental rights and you would have to give power of attorney to whoever you select to care for you baby while you are trained (not just basic/boot, but advanced training).

You can have you child with you in base housing as a single parent and there is a lot of constant paperwork to ensure your baby would be cared for if you were deployed.

I'm an Army man so I suggest the Army, but you need to talk to all services and get the best deal you can for yourself.

Last edited:
Respect to you for what you want to do. I am an ex British soldier so I cannot help you with your little problem. But what I can say is I admire you taking on this challenge good luck to you both Steve wwwsteveosbornebritisharmy.com

Back