Military research

flameseeker574

I'm not sure if this is the right section but seeing as there isn't a research forum I thought I might as well ask here.

So I am writing a video game pitch for a school class that I'm in ( Don't ask, I'm unable to give a good reason why this is a project) but the good news is that I'm an avid gamer and have a basic idea about what I want to include, and more importantly what to ask you guys.

So my game is going to be pretty similar to say rainbow six or call of duty, small elite strike forces taking on larger groups of goons/ taking out high value targets.So first question.

1. I want the main "good guy" force to be some sort of special forces type thing (wow I'm realizing just how uneducated I sound right now) It could be a known force like the SAS or Delta force, or it might be a made up thing like rainbow six. Basically, Where do these forces recruit, do they just take promising men from the other branches or is some sort of application?

2. My story calls for this squad/ group to be doing some pretty insane stuff, fast roping out of helicopters, proficiency with a multitude of weapons, speaking various languages. Stuff (not quite sure what it would be called) like the first level of Call of Duty 4 where the SAS team just waltzes on to an oil tanker and kills everyone on it to get to the nuclear warhead. Would Delta (to my understanding more or less america's SAS) actually be doing stuff like that, globe trotting on completly black missions? or would they be training afgan soilders like the US army special forces?

3. that brings me to my next point, I have read about Rangers, SEALs Green berets (which to my understanding are army spec ops) are any of them qualified to do what I have been describing? ( I'd think that SEAls would be the best pick out of the three but I know little)

4. In this new CoD game (worth playing BTW) there are a whole lot of new acessories, things like thermal scopes, underbarrel shotguns, and even a heartbeat sensor. While I know that thermal scopes and RIS shotguns do exist would they be issued to the groups I've mentioned? On the more iffy side of things, are those Heartbeat sensors, and UAV infantry missile guidance things real? I would imagine either 1. No or 2. your not allowed to talk about it.

Thats pretty much it, Thanks for the help, I feel that between this excellent site, Wikipedia and a few books that I have I should be able to cobble together a semi- realistic story line that has at least some vestige of informed truth in it.

~Flame

Back