Military rape: The invisible war

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/op...&utm_term=plustweets&utm_medium=MasterAccount

I wonder what they do in occupied countries with the people of those countries when they don't pity to themselves.

Rape happens everywhere and anywhere in peacetime and war. In mine point of view it is always a crime. But like with every crime one must look at the circumstances. Not so very long ago rape (and plundering) was considered a reward for the victorious soldiers. I think the British, and certain under the command of Wellington, were the first to punish this behaviour.
Another point to think about is how long were these soldiers on the battlefield? The longer they are and the more ferocious the combat the more likely those soldiers will rape someone. Think like I wonna f..k someone before I get killed. Soldiers are trained for combat not to be a gentleman, although a lot of (mostly leftwing) politicians and activists ask the impossible from them.
Did you know that Napoleon had prostitutes following his army?
For a commander the loss of a soldier is bad news. Wether he got killed or send away because of a rape, on paper it is the same: his force is reduced. So I can understand that commanders cover up rape crimes. They have to focus on their mission and are always short of soldiers and weapons.

Rape happens everywhere and anywhere in peacetime and war. In mine point of view it is always a crime. But like with every crime one must look at the circumstances. Not so very long ago rape (and plundering) was considered a reward for the victorious soldiers. I think the British, and certain under the command of Wellington, were the first to punish this behaviour.
Another point to think about is how long were these soldiers on the battlefield? The longer they are and the more ferocious the combat the more likely those soldiers will rape someone. Think like I wonna f..k someone before I get killed. Soldiers are trained for combat not to be a gentleman, although a lot of (mostly leftwing) politicians and activists ask the impossible from them.
For a commander the loss of a soldier is bad news. Wether he got killed or send away because of a rape, on paper it is the same: his force is reduced. So I can understand that commanders cover up rape crimes. They have to focus on their mission and are always short of soldiers and weapons.

WTF are you talking about! It is very much about morality and self-discipline and not whether you have been in fierce battles. A unit that has a high fighting spirit and good leadership will never commit such crimes. We are trained to fight, yes - but we are not machines, and believe it or not, we are actually people with pretty good self-control.

If my superior tried to cover up a crime, then I guarantee you that I would blow the whistle on him.

There are no circumstances with a rape. Another thing, a rape has nothing to do with sex; a rape is about power and control. The majority of raped women are raped by someone they know. The military is a reflection of the society; the majority of the men in the service will never abuse women, but some do. Similar as in the civilian population; the majority of men will never abuse women, but some do. Do you know the treatment of PTSD has originated from the treatment of raped women and children? I have faced so many abused women; some of them are very close to me. I can read the signs when something is wrong. There is no excuse for things like this.

In western armies there very few secrets like this and if a group of soldiers are involved in a rape the word would soon get out, then you will have the press and TV people all over you like a rash. Look at the Americans and you will always find some pratt filming it and putting it you tube along with all his mates faces.

It's not a military problem, it's a problem faced in all facets of every society across the globe. For instance, in documented cases on rape in the United States, women make up something like 93% of the victims, but if the unreported instances of rape in American prisons are counted, the vast majority of victims and perpetrators of rape are males. This **** happens, it's not excusable, but let's not pretend this is a recent phenomena that plagues only the US military. Why do you think there are so many people between Mongolia and Poland with dark complexions? They either get a lot of sun or (more likely) they are a descendant of a Mongol. This is a huge problem that requires a huge solution, not a military problem requiring a military solution.

Another angle on this is the revolution of our media complex, never before has the world had such coverage and leverage on public opinion as our media complex today.

It has revolutionized the preceptions of not only war, but our ability to identify in this instance , rape as a broader societal problem, as before mentioned in post previous to mine.

Rape happens in Afghanistan just like it happens on the corner of 9th Street and MLK Boulevard.

Feirce combat or not, you wouldn't want your postman or firefighters covering up a rape by one of their own would you? For miltary commanders I would understand why they would do everything possible to stamp it out.

Because for their organization, like any other it disrupts their mission or goals as well as comprimises outside appearance, how could any military or civil serivice organization answer to those they are suppose serve with such loose standards as to allow the serious crime of rape to persist?

It may work in a jackbooted dictatorship where people fear the police state, but not in western society.

And I wouldn't have it any other way, military or civilian it's a crime, another problem I would like to see adressed is the double standard of gender as well.

But that's another topic for another day.

Last edited:
Regardless if the rape occurs in the military, during an armed conflict, and in the civilian society. To prove a rape occurred is always problematic; when the majority of the rapes occur in a relationship, the crime must be proven in a court, when we have words against words. Normally we don't have witnesses, sometimes not even physical evidence. What shall the democratic society do? It is a dilemma.

Prostitution is very common during a peacekeeping mission; however, this kind of prostitution is a bit different. They are called "Bush Wives" the reason for this kind of prostitution for the women doing this is to get out of from where they are. From what I know, the civilians working in an environment like disaster relief, establishing the civilian governance, institution building, and other matters are a target for these women. The civilians working with this are making way more than the high ranked officers

Back