Military Rank Insignias

well, i know that colonel controls regiments

according to logic guess, major general controls brigade? lieutant general controls divisions, and chief of staff ground controls corps??

what happened to colonel general and field marshal

Is that a subtle brag? ;)
Most countires in the world do not field militaries large enough to make Colonel Generals or Field Marshals neccessary.
Basically when such a role ever comes up, a four star general takes up the assignment. At the end of World War II, some American generals were given five stars, but apparently this was because they had to deal with a lot of Soviet and European counterparts who held ranks that exceeded any American rank. So it was really politics.
The Japanese Self Defense Force is hardly big enough to require a five star general for any practical reason.

Here's some for everybody.

koreanrank.jpg

Thank you 11Bravo for the Korea ranks. I'll be wearing some pretty soon.
Redleg, the link to the norwegian one desn't seem to work.
Sherman, are there any rank tags under corporal in Israel?

Well, there is the lowest rank- Private, but it is not worn. It used to be worn and it was just like the corpral, but had one stripe instead of 2.

Cool. That Norwegian rank pdf is really well made. Looks like some kind of official printout thing to people who need to recognize their counterparts.
Another interesting thing I noticed is that the Staff Sergeant is the highest NCO rank. Does Norway have the similar approach to Enlisted -> Officer transition that Sweden has? That is, you can become an officer just by serving a few years.

Also notice that a lot of the lower enlisted ranks are merely marked by sticks? I think the French also use that sort of system as well as the Swedish. It's much easier to stamp out than anything fancy like a chevron. What a great way to know that you're so worthless that they didn't even bother to make a real design for your rank :lol:

the_13th_redneck said:
Cool. That Norwegian rank pdf is really well made. Looks like some kind of official printout thing to people who need to recognize their counterparts.
Another interesting thing I noticed is that the Staff Sergeant is the highest NCO rank. Does Norway have the similar approach to Enlisted -> Officer transition that Sweden has? That is, you can become an officer just by serving a few years.
The pdf is an official printout.. ;)

Norway doesn't have NCO's, I've explained a bit about the Norwegian rank system here:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=40512#40512
To become an officer you'll need at least one year at a sergeant school, and one year as a sergeant.

... whatever happened to the ol days of field marshals that commanded millions of men and thousands of machines...

some military has their insiginia worn on top of the shouldier, some on the side of the shoulder, and some near the collar, which ones a better arrangement?

UK/Commonwealth still has Field Marshalls I believe. I'm sure a troop from there can tell you for certain.

As for insignia placement, well on the collar is perhaps less likely to be seen by a sniper. Better yet is to pull it off entirely in combat. ;)

Back