Military Policing

--

December 14th, 2012  
captiva303

Topic: Military Policing

Australia has recently taken to recruiting military police directly . Ie a civilian gets recruited to be an MP they do recruit training and the MP course and bam they become an MP... Previous to this all MPs were internally recruited once a soldier became a corparel they could become an MP if their hearts so desired...

There has been a bit of an outcry from within the army about these new MPs. As they have no experience within the wider army. They won't understand the unique requirements of service. Etc etc...

I understand many other countries already do this. What do you think of this ? Do you really need experience ? Or what?
There is also a bit of concern about the uselessness of the new MP privates as they have no powers until the obtain rank.

Looking at you highwayman
December 14th, 2012  
Capt Frogman

As long as the training is up to scratch, there is no issue? That method works well enough in the British military.

I suppose it would perhaps be better if they had previous experience of the military but it's hardly necessary?

It's no different to many of the other units within the military that recruit civilians.
December 14th, 2012  
The Highway Man

When I first done my training I enlisted straight into the RMP. I received full training over 7 months and passed out ready to go to work. On completion of training, I was promoted straight to LCpl. At week 8 of training(after basic soldier training) we received our voluntary transfers (trained soldiers from other units) for police training. It has all changed now. All soldiers, regardless of unit, go to an initial training centre. On completion of ITC, the recruits go to a Service Police College, where all service police army, navy and air force, receive their police training. It works very well as the UK has some of the most highly trained and professional Service Police units in the world. Here in the UK, a number of civilian police forces consult the RMP over various matters and we work very closely together. In some garrison towns, we even have joint civilian/military police stations to foster even closer working relationships.
--
December 14th, 2012  
Capt Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highway Man
Here in the UK, a number of civilian police forces consult the RMP over various matters.
And vice versa.
December 14th, 2012  
The Highway Man

Exactly, I'm very proud of the inter service co-operation and working practices of the service and civilian police in not only the UK but all round the world where UK service police are based.
December 14th, 2012  
Capt Frogman

That's police officers for you. Whether civilian or military, they always help one another.
December 14th, 2012  
Tankboy

I'm filling up here, sob sob.
December 15th, 2012  
The Highway Man

Can you feel the love in the topic?
December 15th, 2012  
muscogeemike

I was told that two on the most unappreciated jobs in the military are MP’s and cooks. Everybody is looking at them, all the time, and they work 365 days a year.
December 15th, 2012  
Tankboy

At least cooks deliver good food!