Military Police vs Ranger or Cavalry Scout

digger12

Hi All,
New Member here and was wondering if anybody can help. I didn't see too much on the search option so here goes:
I am joining the Army for sure (haven't officially signed up yet, but process is moving as we speak) and I was wondering which you guys think would be a better choice. Ranger or Military Police or Cavalry Scout. I have heard that MP's get treated like $hit in the Army, and I don't want that (granted, if it's what you want to do then that shouldn't matter, I know). The Army is going to be a big part of my life and I want to enjoy myself and have more friends than just my fellow MP's. Correct any of my info if I am wrong, please. Also, does anybody know if you can still be a cop out of the Military if your a Ranger? And is the training still the same length for Ranger as for Cavalry Scout? I guess that might depend on where you are. But anyways, I am probably going to be a cop wen I get out (if I don't decide to stay in). And one more thing. Guys (and gals)i need your honest opion, please. Preferrably someone who has Children. i have a 5 year old little girl. I am 21. At this time of war, is it in her best interest if I join? Does that mess up relationships with your kids? Thanks for any and all help. PS:To any current or former Rangers, Cavalry Scouts, and MP's: my e-mail address is rck2drums@hotmail.com. Feel free to send me an e-mail if you have any additional info on that specific job in the ARMY ONLY. Thanks again everyone. :salute2:

If you have children, any military branch you join is going to affect your relationship with your children.

I am not sure what you have been told about an MP's life in general. I know that military life is 90% what you make of it and 10% B.S.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

You have asked several good questions but I'll try to answer the ones I know something about.

First, military life is stressful for families. No way around it, just a fact of life. If you have a stable relationship with your wife and kids, it can also be a good experience for all concerned. My wife enjoyed the weirdness that surrounds being married to someone on active duty.

Second, If your goal is to be in civilian law enforcement eventually, duty as a MP will help. If you get that assignement, make sure you try to get some college courses in law enforcement , forensics, or criminology. Experience plus education will help you get that civilian LE job if you get out. Good luck to you and I hope it works out well for you.

And is the training still the same length for Ranger as for Cavalry Scout? I guess that might depend on where you are.

They have different missions and specialties, so the training is going to be different.

i have a 5 year old little girl. I am 21. At this time of war, is it in her best interest if I join? Does that mess up relationships with your kids?

I think this will depend on how you look at it. Are you going to be away from home? Yep. Are you going to be putting your life at risk and therefore, putting your child's chance at having a father at risk? Yep. But then again, you are doing something to ensure the safety of her future. Military service is about sacrifice, regardless of how the recruiting commercials make it seem. You will sacrifice and your family will sacrifice, most of the time for the greater good. That's enough for some people, it isn't for others. Nothing worth doing is ever easy, so you will have to weigh that decision yourself. I would certainly talk it over with my family.

Cold Steel said:
Second, If your goal is to be in civilian law enforcement eventually, duty as a MP will help.

I think that's touch and go. Some departments see it more as a headache because they'll have to "retrain" the military mindset, while others see it as an asset. Regardless of what you do, military service in and of itself looks good on applications.

If you get that assignement, make sure you try to get some college courses in law enforcement , forensics, or criminology. Experience plus education will help you get that civilian LE job if you get out. Good luck to you and I hope it works out well for you.

Great advice! With the war on OPTEMPO is pretty high for everyone, so it may not be easy to get your courses in right away, or back to back. But as they say, where there is a will, there is a way. :thumb:

Mil Duties And the Family

:m16shoot: Hey Buddy! Go ahead do it.Remember life has no guarantees including whether your stay at home would foster a better relationship with your kid or wife.Remember all those guys in your neighbourhood
who never wore uniform a single day and yet their homes broke?Alternately distance makes the heart grow fonder.And those times when your family cannot be accomodated at the duty station ,coming home is like a perpetual honeymoon.And kids do feel proud to see their dad in uniform.I have a 6 yr old daughter and know what I am saying. There is bound to be sad partings but the joyful re-unions beat all that.Ofcourse ultimately the choice would be yours. So cheerio and all the best.

:tank:

Back