Military Pistol Caliber Poll

Which Caliber do you think is best?

• Total voters
I'm a huge believer in GLOCK. I own six of their pistols, I carry one one duty, and just about every department in the tri-county area issues GLOCK.

I'm a certified GLOCK Armorer, I shoot competitively with a GLOCK, and my main CCW is a GLOCK.

Also, my GLOCK has been to the sandbox and back. I have other firearms in my collection. 1911s, Hi-Powers, Walthers, Berettas, and S&Ws. But GLOCK is still my favorite pistol in the world.

If I could only have one firearm, it would be a GLOCK.

Last edited:
I've got a Glock 26 that I enjoy shooting but don't carry. The rear of the slide is square and snags on my pocket when I draw the gun. Instead of carrying the Glock, I carry the Taurus PT145. I can't hit with it as well as the Glock but it pops out of my pocket holster much easier.

.38's too weak, man. Back in the 1978 Lufthansa hijacking, Ulrich Wegener of GSG-9 fame emptied a .38 snubnose into a terrorist, and the sucker still managed to cook off two grenades.

zander_0633 said:
Maybe he emptyied at the wrong place!
No.Wegners shots were all on target he just was unlucky that they didnt kill the terrorist outright.Had he used .45 or if something like Le Mas had been available then there may have been a different result had he been immediately incapacitated.

That's not true, A .45 ACP is not the all powerful cartridge that everyone thinks it is.

Read police reports. People get shot with 9X19mm, .40 S&W, 357 Sig, and .45 ACP and many survive the shootout or outright are still in the fight after being hit. And these are all with Jacket Hallow Point ammunition.

5.56X45mm said:
That's not true, A .45 ACP is not the all powerful cartridge that everyone thinks it is.

Read police reports. People get shot with 9X19mm, .40 S&W, 357 Sig, and .45 ACP and many survive the shootout or outright are still in the fight after being hit. And these are all with Jacket Hallow Point ammunition.
I have since done so and stand corrected.
What caliber do you think would have the greatest stopping power and chance of putting him down immediately?

When I was still a hunter, I was walking a roadside about sundown and a doe ran across the road. I wasn't hunting at the time but walking to camp from our latrine pit. We needed camp meat so I decided to try a kill shot with a .22 magnum rifle I carried for snakes, South Texas, or whatever. The doe jumped a fence just as I fired and dropped on the other side. I headed out to cut her throat and saw her raise her head. I immediately shot her between the eyes and started looking for where I had hit her the first time. I found that one of her back feet was missing while I gutted her, I realized that the magnum had hit the joint and literally exploded in the ankle joint. I was amazed at the damage a .22 magnum hollowpoint did at about 20 yards. I'm not so sure that a caliber is always the highest variable in the equation of what's deadly and what's not every case.

sven hassell said:
I have since done so and stand corrected.
What caliber do you think would have the greatest stopping power and chance of putting him down immediately?

.500 S&W Magnum

bulldogg said:
8inch Howitzer with charge 7 powder
:)
First time, every time.

Hooah!!

As for the pistol though, I still love my .45. I have however replaced the lower receiver group with a special make from Essex Iron Works that reduces the recoil tremendously, and added pro sights and Pacmar grips. I hit what I aim at.

sven hassell said:
I see.What would be the chances of overpenetration on this caliber?and is that why its not used by SF hostage rescue teams?

I meant that caliber as a joke. It's Smith & Wesson's new hand cannon caliber for those that like to take big game with a revolver.

This puppy is overkill for human targets.

I still think that the .40 S&W is the best caliber out on the market right now.

HAha! Just imagine the effect it would have on a human head, instead of a hole in the head, it might just blow the whole head into pieces!

my new m&p .45

im trying to find out witch is the best ammo for my new pistol. its my first civ one and i have never had, the .45 treatment. im picking it up on sunday, but i dont want the guy trying to sell me the worst kind to get rid of some junk thats been sitting around for the past 10yrs. can anyone help. no one i know has a m&p .45 so i dont know how i should go about this.

im trying to find out witch is the best ammo for my new pistol. its my first civ one and i have never had, the .45 treatment. im picking it up on sunday, but i dont want the guy trying to sell me the worst kind to get rid of some junk thats been sitting around for the past 10yrs. can anyone help. no one i know has a m&p .45 so i dont know how i should go about this.
Run 200 rounds of cheap ball/FMJ through it for relaiblity check. Then get a box of a couple diffrent brands of premium hollow points. Check for reliable feeding, depending on if the pistol is throated for hollow points(true military pistols usually have trouble feeding hollow points, but this one probably has the civvy throating).

Back