Military Pistol Caliber Poll - Page 6

View Poll Results :Which Caliber do you think is best?
9X19mm Parabellum 10 25.64%
9X18mm Makarov 1 2.56%
357 Sig 3 7.69%
.40 S&W 7 17.95%
.45 ACP 15 38.46%
.45 GAP 0 0%
10mm Auto 3 7.69%
.41 Action Express 1 2.56%
.38 Super 2 5.13%
5.7X28mm 3 7.69%
5.8 Chinese 0 0%
7.62X25mm 0 0%
7.63 mm Mauser 0 0%
9X21mm IMI 0 0%
9X23 Largo 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

--

May 7th, 2006  
Missileer

When I was still a hunter, I was walking a roadside about sundown and a doe ran across the road. I wasn't hunting at the time but walking to camp from our latrine pit. We needed camp meat so I decided to try a kill shot with a .22 magnum rifle I carried for snakes, South Texas, or whatever. The doe jumped a fence just as I fired and dropped on the other side. I headed out to cut her throat and saw her raise her head. I immediately shot her between the eyes and started looking for where I had hit her the first time. I found that one of her back feet was missing while I gutted her, I realized that the magnum had hit the joint and literally exploded in the ankle joint. I was amazed at the damage a .22 magnum hollowpoint did at about 20 yards. I'm not so sure that a caliber is always the highest variable in the equation of what's deadly and what's not every case.
May 8th, 2006  
5.56X45mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven hassell
I have since done so and stand corrected.
What caliber do you think would have the greatest stopping power and chance of putting him down immediately?
.500 S&W Magnum
May 8th, 2006  
bulldogg

8inch Howitzer with charge 7 powder

First time, every time.
--
May 8th, 2006  
sven hassell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm
.500 S&W Magnum
I see.What would be the chances of overpenetration on this caliber?and is that why its not used by SF hostage rescue teams?
May 8th, 2006  
Charge 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
8inch Howitzer with charge 7 powder

First time, every time.
Hooah!!

As for the pistol though, I still love my .45. I have however replaced the lower receiver group with a special make from Essex Iron Works that reduces the recoil tremendously, and added pro sights and Pacmar grips. I hit what I aim at.
May 8th, 2006  
5.56X45mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven hassell
I see.What would be the chances of overpenetration on this caliber?and is that why its not used by SF hostage rescue teams?
I meant that caliber as a joke. It's Smith & Wesson's new hand cannon caliber for those that like to take big game with a revolver.

This puppy is overkill for human targets.

I still think that the .40 S&W is the best caliber out on the market right now.
May 9th, 2006  
zander_0633

HAha! Just imagine the effect it would have on a human head, instead of a hole in the head, it might just blow the whole head into pieces!
October 16th, 2010  
E.O.D.....BOOOMMM

Topic: my new m&p .45

im trying to find out witch is the best ammo for my new pistol. its my first civ one and i have never had, the .45 treatment. im picking it up on sunday, but i dont want the guy trying to sell me the worst kind to get rid of some junk thats been sitting around for the past 10yrs. can anyone help. no one i know has a m&p .45 so i dont know how i should go about this.
October 16th, 2010  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.O.D.....BOOOMMM
im trying to find out witch is the best ammo for my new pistol. its my first civ one and i have never had, the .45 treatment. im picking it up on sunday, but i dont want the guy trying to sell me the worst kind to get rid of some junk thats been sitting around for the past 10yrs. can anyone help. no one i know has a m&p .45 so i dont know how i should go about this.
Run 200 rounds of cheap ball/FMJ through it for relaiblity check. Then get a box of a couple diffrent brands of premium hollow points. Check for reliable feeding, depending on if the pistol is throated for hollow points(true military pistols usually have trouble feeding hollow points, but this one probably has the civvy throating).
November 11th, 2010  
Devich

.45 ACP, definitely.