Military Peoples Good Habbits & Advice

Civy

Hi - I am new here..
I am interested in habbits, practices and advice as to how Military people conduct life in general. e.g. how you deal with obsticles, wisdom of leadership & command, standards of fitness and training. That civilians wishing to be the best they can be mentally and physically and competitive with societies elite can (try to) apply to their own lives. Any advice appreciated.
Current exercises include 3-4 5-10km runs per week, 2 x 100 lengths of pool per week, 1-2 hours general gym/weights work 3 x per week and background many years ago in contact (fighting) sports. Now a manager with staff to lead and inspire, often against what appears to be insurmountable odds, requiring them and myself to work beyond comfort zones and achieve things we perhaps believe are beyond us - if we succumb to defeatist attitudes.
I know us Civy's warrant little respect in certain circles..so many thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer!

Hi - I am new here..
I am interested in habbits, practices and advice as to how Military people conduct life in general. e.g. how you deal with obsticles, wisdom of leadership & command, standards of fitness and training. That civilians wishing to be the best they can be mentally and physically and competitive with societies elite can (try to) apply to their own lives. Any advice appreciated.
Current exercises include 3-4 5-10km runs per week, 2 x 100 lengths of pool per week, 1-2 hours general gym/weights work 3 x per week and background many years ago in contact (fighting) sports. Now a manager with staff to lead and inspire, often against what appears to be insurmountable odds, requiring them and myself to work beyond comfort zones and achieve things we perhaps believe are beyond us - if we succumb to defeatist attitudes.
I know us Civy's warrant little respect in certain circles..so many thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer!
civi....... you might be surprised to learn that us military folks *ain't* any different then you guys... except for the fact that we may not hesitate to shoot the basturd who breaks into our houses... and then maybe shoot them 2 or 3 more times to assure he ain't faking it. Just saying.

Thanks for the reply - maybe just my arm chair opinion, but mankind seems to be at his best when he is at his worse. Human performance seems to be the greatest when it is under military discipline. So simple things - what time should you get out of bed, what should you eat for breakfast. What things could a civilian do in day to day life and thinking, so that they would be competitive with say the upper 50% of there peers and useful in a military context if say they were to be drafted one day?

civi....... you might be surprised to learn that us military folks *ain't* any different then you guys... except for the fact that we may not hesitate to shoot the basturd who breaks into our houses... and then maybe shoot them 2 or 3 more times to assure he ain't faking it. Just saying.

LOL Good answer.:bravo:

My civi life is mirroring my military one. In the Military Police, I sat in a patrol car watching the traffic, now I'm a Traffic Officer, I sit in a patrol car watching the traffic. ;)

Thanks folks I guess. Here is a more specific question - you are about to lead a team into a situation where you believe the odds are well stacked against you and the chances are you and your team will be defeated decisively. Is it better to be honest with your team and tell them it is a suicide mission, or do you lie and tell them you believe that if they fight their hardest and stick together as a team they cannot loose. Which is better leadership? - assuming there is no third option.

My civi life is mirroring my military one. In the Military Police, I sat in a patrol car watching the traffic, now I'm a Traffic Officer, I sit in a patrol car watching the traffic. ;)

I'm glad mine isn't, have you seen the mess a MBT makes of the roads! :D

In both civi and military life, you leave the proper work to the experts i.e. SIB and TrafPol? :D

SIB proper work? PROPER WORK! don't make me laugh, they're not called Stab In Back for nothing, hang on, that's why RPU like and admire them isn't it? :p :D

Thanks folks I guess. Here is a more specific question - you are about to lead a team into a situation where you believe the odds are well stacked against you and the chances are you and your team will be defeated decisively. Is it better to be honest with your team and tell them it is a suicide mission, or do you lie and tell them you believe that if they fight their hardest and stick together as a team they cannot loose. Which is better leadership? - assuming there is no third option.
On my very first mission in Vietnam our Captain called us all together and said

"Gentlemen, that (pointing) is the An Lo valley...... we are going as far as we can; in all probability we are not coming back".

for an FNG who didn't know schit about nothing that was a real eye opener... truly I say to you I DID NOT sleep while on guard, then again I wasn't allowed to open fire without first waking one of the old guys either.

you might take note that, by writing you this comment, we weren't wiped out. but to answer your question, Yes it is better to know the score.

Last edited:
You can bog off!!! there is no way on this god's earth can you use "Paras" and "peace loving" in the same sentence!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Part of being a soldier is understanding the concept of "hope for the best, but, plan for the worst". We tend to take a very pragmatic and practical look on things because not being completely honest with yourself and your men means you will likely become dead. On the other hand...most combat soldiers want to kick some a**. Tell a bunch of alpha males that are trained and primed for battle that they need to fight their way to life and they will surprise you. You'd be surprised what a few men with nerves of steel can accomplish...

You can bog off!!! there is no way on this god's earth can you use "Paras" and "peace loving" in the same sentence!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

can't? You mean? After all these years the possibility exist that youz-guys may have been the good guys?

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ;)

Back