Military Peoples Good Habbits & Advice - Page 2

--
Military Peoples Good Habbits & Advice

November 18th, 2012  
Capt Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highway Man
My civi life is mirroring my military one. In the Military Police, I sat in a patrol car watching the traffic, now I'm a Traffic Officer, I sit in a patrol car watching the traffic.
In both civi and military life, you leave the proper work to the experts i.e. SIB and TrafPol?
November 18th, 2012  
The Highway Man

SIB proper work? PROPER WORK! don't make me laugh, they're not called Stab In Back for nothing, hang on, that's why RPU like and admire them isn't it?
November 18th, 2012  
m551sheridan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civy
Thanks folks I guess. Here is a more specific question - you are about to lead a team into a situation where you believe the odds are well stacked against you and the chances are you and your team will be defeated decisively. Is it better to be honest with your team and tell them it is a suicide mission, or do you lie and tell them you believe that if they fight their hardest and stick together as a team they cannot loose. Which is better leadership? - assuming there is no third option.
On my very first mission in Vietnam our Captain called us all together and said

"Gentlemen, that (pointing) is the An Lo valley...... we are going as far as we can; in all probability we are not coming back".

for an FNG who didn't know schit about nothing that was a real eye opener... truly I say to you I DID NOT sleep while on guard, then again I wasn't allowed to open fire without first waking one of the old guys either.

you might take note that, by writing you this comment, we weren't wiped out. but to answer your question, Yes it is better to know the score.
--
November 18th, 2012  
m551sheridan

Quote:
My civi life is mirroring my military one. In the Military Police, I sat in a patrol car watching the traffic, now I'm a Traffic Officer, I sit in a patrol car watching the traffic.
coppers - the bane of all peace loving Paratroopers
November 18th, 2012  
The Highway Man

You can bog off!!! there is no way on this god's earth can you use "Paras" and "peace loving" in the same sentence!!!
November 18th, 2012  
brinktk

Part of being a soldier is understanding the concept of "hope for the best, but, plan for the worst". We tend to take a very pragmatic and practical look on things because not being completely honest with yourself and your men means you will likely become dead. On the other hand...most combat soldiers want to kick some a**. Tell a bunch of alpha males that are trained and primed for battle that they need to fight their way to life and they will surprise you. You'd be surprised what a few men with nerves of steel can accomplish...
November 18th, 2012  
Capt Frogman

Quote:
SIB proper work? PROPER WORK! don't make me laugh, they're not called Stab In Back for nothing, hang on, that's why RPU like and admire them isn't it?
Says Mr Rude Monkey Police....
November 18th, 2012  
Capt Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by m551sheridan
coppers - the bane of all peace loving Paratroopers
Quite rightly so!

Para's, I wouldn't p**s on one if he was on fire!
November 18th, 2012  
Capt Frogman

Quote:
You can bog off!!! there is no way on this god's earth can you use "Paras" and "peace loving" in the same sentence!!!
Amen to that brother!
November 18th, 2012  
m551sheridan

Quote:
can't? You mean? After all these years the possibility exist that youz-guys may have been the good guys?

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah