Military Mistakes - Page 4




 
--
 
October 21st, 2021  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Was it the Whiskey or Foxtrot class that was easy to find as they were generally surfaced while they put out the fires?
"Whiskey on the rocks" was temporarily a popular drink in Sweden during the incident.
October 21st, 2021  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by George
"Whiskey on the rocks" was temporarily a popular drink in Sweden during the incident.
Yes, and it still is.
October 22nd, 2021  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
Yes, and it still is.
Was it before, or as a result of publicity from the grounding?
--
October 22nd, 2021  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lljadw
Was it possible in peace time to know that weapons would fail in war time and was it possible in peace time to improve these weapons so that they would not fail in war time ? It is questionable that testing in peace time would reveal shortcomings in war time .
Apparently not actually tested. After receiving many complaints of solid straight on hits failing to detonate they started testing. I seem to remember seeing this in a film or movie where they hoisted a torpedo on a crane and dropped it on its nose, damage would have prevented detonation. They then took a sub and fired at a cliff face in Hawaii. Those fired at a fairly straight on angle failed, only those fire at low degree of angle detonated. They recovered the failed ones and found simular damage to the dropped one.
October 22nd, 2021  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
If we are going to discuss torpedoes I found this to be an interesting paper on the German G7a and G7e models.
https://digitalcommons.georgiasouthe...99&context=etd

It is a pdf file entitled: Wolves without teeth: The German torpedo crisis in ww2 by David Habersham Wright.

Hopefully the link will work.
pretty much covers the German situation.
October 22nd, 2021  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Was it before, or as a result of publicity from the grounding?
I would say before, but it is increased its popularity when the public learned the submarine belonged to a class of subs called Whisky.
3 Weeks Ago  
George
 
Dardanelles, WWI not replacing the reservist crews on the minesweepers with regular sailors before the attempt to force the straits by the R. N. Battleships.
3 Weeks Ago  
lljadw
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Dardanelles, WWI not replacing the reservist crews on the minesweepers with regular sailors before the attempt to force the straits by the R. N. Battleships.
Is that not hindsight ?
And, was it possible to replace the reservists with regular sailors ?
3 Weeks Ago  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lljadw
Is that not hindsight ?
And, was it possible to replace the reservists with regular sailors ?
mistakes usually are seen through hindsight. Should have left, say one of the obsolete battleships at base and used the crew to man the sweepers.
3 Weeks Ago  
lljadw
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by George
mistakes usually are seen through hindsight. Should have left, say one of the obsolete battleships at base and used the crew to man the sweepers.
Was this possible and would the crew of the battleship do better at the sweepers ?
And if so,would this outweigh the loss of a battleship ?
Every proposal has two sides .
Other point : did some one propose this during the planning of the operation ?
 


Similar Topics
Great Military Leaders vs Military Education
Military Explains News Propaganda in Iraq
Chinese military aircraft present situation
US military.