Military On Mission To Cover $12K In Dallas Parking Fees

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Dallas Morning News
November 15, 2007 Service branches say GIs who got tickets will pay
By Dave Levinthal, The Dallas Morning News
The U.S. military found itself negotiating a truce Wednesday with Dallas City Hall, a day after city parking officials immobilized eight military recruiting vehicles, and impounded four of them, because the armed forces failed to pay off dozens of parking tickets.
"They've contacted us on numerous occasions today wanting to know what they can do to rectify the situation," said Zena Fernino, Dallas' parking management and enforcement division manager. "They do recognize that they have the outstanding tickets, and they seem very interested in taking care of the situation."
That situation, according to city records, is a five-figure affair: In all, the four military branches owe Dallas $12,265 in unpaid parking fines and fees.
Of that, the Army owes the most ($9,140), followed by the Marines ($3,010) and Navy ($115). The Air Force is debt-free.
"We're concerned. This is something that we definitely want to take care of," said Lt. Col. Gregory Chaney, the commander of retention and recruitment for the Texas Army National Guard.
Col. Chaney says he's sent word to battalions throughout Texas that individual recruiters are responsible for parking tickets they incur while on official business. Ignoring parking tickets, he said, "is unacceptable behavior and something that does not represent our values."
Taxpayer dollars won't be used to pay off debts, as superiors will require the soldiers responsible for incurring the tickets to pay them with their own money, Col. Chaney added.
Dallas is in the process of producing a detailed list of tickets for the military, Ms. Fernino said.
Among the cars Dallas immobilized Tuesday with metal boots, five belonged to the Army, one to the Marines and two to an unidentified service branch.
The Army vehicles alone had accrued $2,635 in fines and associated fees, and upon finding their vehicles going nowhere fast, several fatigues-clad soldiers marched straight to Dallas City Hall and demanded answers from the offices of Mayor Tom Leppert and City Manager Mary Suhm.
The city's response? Pay your fines, and we'll free your cars.
The Army paid up on three vehicles. But as of Wednesday evening, two of the Army vehicles and the two unidentified vehicles continued to sit in the city's auto pound and won't be released until the fines are paid in full, Ms. Fernino said.

While I'm all for them paying the parking tickets, I'm not sure the city of Dallas has the legal authority to impound Federal assets...

Every right ...

While I'm all for them paying the parking tickets, I'm not sure the city of Dallas has the legal authority to impound Federal assets...

WRONG!

The city of Dallas had every right to do as they did.

Nowhere in state or federal law does it say it is legal for any state or federal employee to leave a vehicle (personal, state or federal), parked illegally in a 'pay' parking lot.

The NORMAL and legal response is to impound the vehicle until the fines are paid, and the fact it was a 'federal asset', has absolutely NO BEARING on this situation.

Chief -- I have to research this, but last time I read about something like this, it involved a USMC recruiting office and one of the local NY governments. I don't always believe what I read in the NY Times, but it did say there was something un-Constitutional about state and local governments seizing Federal property...

If you know anything about the current powers that be in Dallas/Dallas County you'd know that for the most part they are beyond F'd up and are in the 180 shot the F*** OUT group. Which is the reason all the family I have in the Metroplex now live in Ft Worth or Denton or are trying to get out of Dallas, Plano, Richardson etc.

Having dealt with both the city and county goverments of Dallas I'am of the opinion that IQ level required to be in a supervisory position i.e. in charge of something rates some where between cretian and high functioning moron. Course thats just me.

IMO this is typical Dallas politics they are going after the recruiters because they thought they were an easy mark. And they leaked it to the press as their typical we're in charge and the world revolves around Dallas attitude and you will obey.

Being born and raised in Texas (the real Texas no where near the Trinity River) I of course have a low opinion of "the State of Texas should revolve around us cause we're so great, smart and important" attitude that is displayed by Dallas. Apparently the clowns now want to screw with the Military and maybe the military should check out where the city parks their vehicles downtown and whether they get tickets cough, cough red zones, cough cough double parked, cough cough don't feed the meters.

Screw Dallas.

Chief -- I have to research this, but last time I read about something like this, it involved a USMC recruiting office and one of the local NY governments. I don't always believe what I read in the NY Times, but it did say there was something un-Constitutional about state and local governments seizing Federal property...

I believe you are talking about Diplomatic Immunity ... the military does NOT enjoy that protection as far as I know when it comes to parking in civilian communities. They have to obey civil law the same as you and I do when you are talking about civil 'parking' laws ... as far as I know, the only thing that over-rules that, is when martial law has been declared and then ALL bets are off.

Back