Military History Club suggestions

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
My school recently formed a military history club, and being a history buff and enthusiast for military theory, I joined and submitted proposals for suggested reading lists, must-see movies, etc.

However, the only real activities we do include playing Axis and Allies and maybe a field trip to the USS Kidd. I'd love to be more helpful, answer questions on equipment or just about any other subject, but theory generally being considered obscure and equipment, jargon, history, etc etc not really coming up, I was wondering if anyone might have any other suggestions that I can submit to the teacher heading the program.

do a staff ride.... have them study a piece of military history from the area, then go out and walk the history in the same location it took place.

We did one here of Chanslorsville and it was awesome.

The Battle of New Orleans could be good place to learn with the group since you lives in the bayou state.

Wasn't there a great battle down there during the revolutionary war? The one where they had to preserve the British General by pickling the guy in a barrel or something. Apparently the war was already over by then but they didn't know that. If only they had the telephone.

if you do a staff ride, make sure you assign the kids rolls on the different players in the event. have them explain the rolls as you walk through the site.

redneck, that would probably be the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812. Port Hudson was a siege that resulted in a massive body count on the Mississippi River.

I like the idea of having people research a topic that interests them and giving a presentation at the next meeting, would get the girls in the club interested in military history and give us something to do other than play "Axis and Allies".

"I only play Pac-man and that carjack game, nothing better than scoring a cabby and mowing down street hoods." - Bob Kelso

So, TI, you kinda lost me, what exactly is a staff ride?

Keep the suggestions coming, they cropped up at today's meeting.

Back