Military Hardware

Del Boy

Necessity is the mother of invention , as I have oft' repeated.

Here is an example:-

'Screwdrivers were first used to help knights put on armour.'

Not a lot of people know that. - (Michael Caine.)

There you are - screw that!

without WWI and WWII the aeroplanes we have today would not have been as good. or even existed, for that matter.

If you look haw the commercial side of flying had progressed between the wars to dispel the argument about the the war being the main source of progress in aviation.
Alcock & Brown made the first non stop flight across the Atlantic in 1919 yet by 1939 you had aircraft on regular commercial flights across the Atlantic. Th DC3 was built before the war as commercial airliner and not only did it serve all through the war it was in use for many years afterwards.

DC3-C47

Th DC3 was built before the war as commercial airliner and not only did it serve all through the war it was in use for many years afterwards.

The DC3 is still in use by the South African Air Force. I have been told however, that the radial engines were replaced with turbo-props.

The only problem with making anything idiot proof is dealing with the igenuity of idiots - and having seen how things get broken by squaddies I have to wholeheartedly agree.

On the subject of military kit quality and quantity is often inversely proportional the usefulness and battlefield requirements.

Finally when is anyone going to invent an ammo pouch that is easily opened and closed with gloved hands, robust and doesn't break off easily?

Back