MILITARY GHOSTS

Lilmissflamethrower

O.k., no one in the airforce would "fess up" to seeing UFOs... how about other military anomalies?

We are supposed to have many ghosts on my ship, the U.S.S. Hornet. We have had very level headed staff who have seen strange things (o.k., o.k., they did throw down a few, but still...)

Two of the crew were in their state room. One of the guys was an original crew member. The ship was closed and completely locked down. As they were sitting and facing a porthole, they saw a young blonde guy with a military hair cut run past the porthole. They heard no footsteps.

They ran out of the state room to aprehend the uninvited visitor but there was no one there.

One of the former board members was on the ship when it was closed and saw a man in khaki uniform heading down towards the engine room. He saw him disappear down the ladder. He ran after him to find out who he was and why he was on the ship but of course, no one was there.

I have worked there almost 2 years and haven't seen diddly. But still, I am hoping....

I have read on some ghost message boards, stories from people on old military bases seeing and/or hearing odd things.

There are several t.v. shows and documentaries on the Hornet ghosts. Interviews with many people who saw things. But I don't know either. Like I said, I ain't seen squat...

Well maby this can be of some intrest then.... It is a old one but I managed to put togheter some stuff about the event.

A picture from the most famous tales of the seeming cross-over into our realm from the ‘supernatural’ is the tale of “The Angels of Mons”:

LINK:

http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/170/sketch.jpg

Then the article I found out -

One of the most famous tales of the seeming cross-over into our realm from the ‘supernatural’ is the tale of “The Angels of Mons”, where British
soldiers in a retreat from Mons in 1914 believed that angelic figures had defended them; Strangely enough, German soldiers of the opposition reported these same figures restraining them from attack. Still others reported that these ‘angelic apparitions’ were pro-German and intervening on their behalf!

The story proceeds like this; In the first major battle at Flanders’ in August, 1914, at the site of “Mons”, the British troops held back a
numerically superior German force, as they had fought them with an amazing ferocity; Near the end of the battle, however, the numbers’ of the German soldiers had become too great for them to overcome. In an attempt to forstall any event whereas they would find themselves “trapped”, The British troops were than instructed to proceed with an orderly withdrawal. And though they had managed to accomplish this task successfully, it was not without cost, as they had suffered heavy casualties.

At the time there was the thinking that prevailed that there were two main reasons as to why the British had not suffered more heavily than they
did; In the first case it was attributed to the skill of their “Marksmen”, which at times was so intense that Germans’ were heard to say later that
they believed they had been facing an onslaught from machine-gun positions. Secondly, the British within their complement of tools carried special entrenching tools (shovels) that allowed them to quickly dig ramparts in the soft soil, where they could provide themselves with adequate protection so that they could continue to fight on. In this way, even an ‘exposed’ position need not stay exposed for too long. So it seems that there was indeed a logical explanation that could be explained for the wartime ordeal.

Though, it was not to end there, the real story in all this, (and it seems as where the idea first comes to light as to the ‘supernatural’ aspect
of all this entering into this), was a short story by the Author Arthur Machen called “The Bowman”. It was printed in the editions of the London
Evening News on September 29th, 1914. The story opens with a telling of a large-scale retreat by the British Expeditionary Force. Then, when the battle had reached its’ most fevered pitch, it was said that one of the soldiers had recalled a restaurant in which he frequented, and, recalling
from the stoneware of the restaurant a likeness of the figure of “St. George”, there emblazoned thereon, with a motto that was imprinted
roundabout the plate, “Adsit Anglis Sanctus Georgius”, (St. George, help the English).

It is said then suddenly the whole of the battlefield is shaken as thousands of voices of the troops call upon the intervention of St. George; then, as an apparition, suddenly the Germans find themselves facing an endless line of ghostly Agincourt archers. Within moments, the sky is
darkened with the barrage of arrows from the angelic warriors, which cut down the advancing enemy troops, and the day is saved; The story goes on to say that ten-thousand Germans had lay dead upon the battlefield, and yet not one bears the mark of a single wound!

Admittedly, this story was a fabrication by the author Arthur Machen; Yet he was too find in the coming days following the publishing of this
story that there were many who not only sought to give credence to the idea that the occurrence had indeed taken place, but also additionally add tales of their own to this story. Even the German’s had their own version of the events of this that favoured them!

In a case such as this, it is best for the reader to be the judge.

You can try this one out to --- there are lots of this thing on the net ;)

LINK:

http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/170_angelofmons.shtml

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

Nice and juicy! Thanks! I have a documentary wherein an older English curator saw Roman soldiers walk through a wall. When he described the outfits to historians they were baffled. At first they could not understand the description, but it later turned out it was an accurate description of a particular outfit that was in that area, but no one would have known that. I will rewatch the video this week and describe it better...

Yes, believable... in Singapore, even years after the WW2, people still heard converations and saw shadows of British and Australian soldiers that were killed in some of the remote areas. Those soldiers were supposed to be killed by the Japanese.. yet they are still there

You see, the souls of the soldiers lingered there because they were killed and died so suddenly.. and not able to go home. Remember Vietnam too.. those killed in the jungle. Will their souls still be there?? :?

There is a website with ghoststories called Shadowland. Some of the stories come from Americans soldiers based in Japan. They have experienced some weird stuff. One story was from an American in an old barracks in Germany.

I watched the documentary again, about the old guy who saw Roman soldiers. It was a treasury house in York, England. He was the plumber, although he was so well spoken and dignified, I thought he was the curator.

He went down to the basement to continue to drill a hole from the floor above.

While he was standing in one spot, he saw a whole Roman unit walk through the wall and across the room. Including horses. He said they were small and dirty and had beards. The weird thing is they seemed to be walking lower then the floor, about 2 feet.

When he described their outfits and their shields, they didn't match up with the typical Roman soldier.

After historians and anthropolgists studied his drawings and whatnot, they found that for one, the under the floor, was the original first century Roman road. They excavated and found it.

Second, after researching his drawings, they realized that Romans took conscript soliders from places they were in. The outfits and shields were of a particular place that the Romans had taken over and took the soldiers and had them march with them.

The guy said the town and the church told him not to talk about this experience because it wasn't Christian. He said he agreed for a while then realized, he didn't care, he saw what he saw and he wasn't trying to convince anyone.

It was a pretty amazing story.

?

in regard to the angel of mons story, there is a similar story concerning the men of the sandringham company at gallipoli who's OC was Frank beck. when they attacked at gallipoli it was said that a cloud enveloped them ( some reports said it was a golden cloud) and took them away like an angel. i'd have to double check but i think the entire company except for a couple of men who were wounded was wiped out.
MIA was what they were listed as, no offical explanation has ever been given to this day.

At mons one of the crucial points in the defensive position was held by the 4th batt of the middlesex regiment and the 4th batt of the royal fusilers. 8 companies and 4 machine guns opisite them was the entire 18th german division 12 battalions (48 companies), 72 guns and 24 machine guns.
with the british soldiers being able to do 15 aimed shots per minute into a two foot circle at 300 yards in their training. its easy to see why the germans would think they were up against massed machine guns.

At The battle of the catalonian feilds between the romans, visigoths and huns it was said the the ghost's of the soldiers continued to fight for many days after the battle.

There is a movie about the battle of Sandringham. The movie seems to indicate that a Turkish official showed the Brittish official the remains of bones and said that the Turks slaughtered the Brits and then covered up the story.

I don't know if the movie added that part or that was later found to be the case.

On the Shadowlands website, a solider said in Germany that at his barracks, he would hear someone knocking on his door all the time. He would wait at the door and fling it open and no one would be there. He thought it was a prank.

He later found out that people had been hearing that knocking for years.

?

yeah i have a copy of the movie about the sandringham company, 180 bodies of there regiment (5th norfolks) were found after the war but only two privates were ever identified. they actually managed to break the turkish line and advance 800 meters behind it. many were killed at a small farmhouse. It was pretty rare for prisoners to be taken at gallipoli.
The idea of the cloud taking the soldiers away was quite popular with some troops and people back in england though.

Back