Military Flash lights

zander_0633

Milforum Gnat
I was wondering, what is the best type of flash light which uses LED and normal batteries like AA or AAA? I would like to invest in one good torch that is handy which I can bring around. I already have a 2-C celled Maglite and it is great! Should I buy the 2AA celled Maglite?

zander_0633 said:
I was wondering, what is the best type of flash light which uses LED and normal batteries like AA or AAA? I would like to invest in one good torch that is handy which I can bring around. I already have a 2-C celled Maglite and it is great! Should I buy the 2AA celled Maglite?

I use a 1A and 2A maglite at work in small places. If the diode light doesn't bother you color-wise, they are certainly brighter. I haven't used one because LEDs want to produce green light because of the materials used. The doping will easily produce variations of green or red but even the lenses never get all the greenish or bluish tint out at the brilliance they use. Most people can't see the color but I can. Depends on how well your vision can discern color temperature.

Surefire G2 Nitrolon.

It's the size of a 2AA Cell Mag Lite but it's brighter than a 4 D Cell Mag Lite.

Surefire G2 Nitrolon uses two CR123A Lithium Batteries and produces 65 Lumens of light for 1 hour. You can change the P60 Bulb for a P90 Bulb and produce 120 Lumens of light for 20 minutes.

Surefire and other companies make weapon mounts and tape switches for them. They are very popular with military and police forces for both as hand held lights and weapon lights.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/878/sesent/00

I prefer Peli Lights.
I have a Peli Mightylite, a Peli Super Sabrelite and a Peli M6 Lithium.

The Mightylite uses 2 AA cells and has 8 Lumen for over 4 hours.
The Peli M6 Lithium uses 2 CR123 cells and has 74 Lumen for 1 hour.
The Super Sabrelite uses 3 C cells and has 33 Lumen for 4,5 hours.

The Peli M6 is, like the SureFire, a tactical flashlight. I choose the M6 because in a report i read they sayed the Peli has the same quality as the comparable SureFire but for only half of the prize plus it comes with a free cordura holster and batteries. Above all the replacement lamp module is far cheaper than the one for a Surefire. I have my M6 now for about 3 years and it works still perfect.
But what I have to say is, that for the Surefire are more accessories available. The only accessorie that is available for the M6 is a trigger switch but in Germany it´s forbidden to mount a flashlight to a gun so i don´t have to care about accessories.

Zander, I know that you are not able to use Google and to avoid that you have to write 3 posts to get the Homepage I will post it right now.
http://www.peli.com/lights.html

Joker

Thanks Joker!

About the Surefire, is it easy to get a battery replacement as CR123A Lithium Batteries are uncommon and difficult to find around in shops.
g2_tn_full.jpg

Same question regarding about the Peli ligths and their [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 “CR123” Lithium batteries! Is it easy to find?

Is there any LED torch that uses AA or AAA battries?
[/FONT]

Last edited:
This question really has nothing to do with the millitary.

I use a mini-maglite that runs on 2 AA batteries. I part time as a pizza delivery driver to help pay for my college life and it's powerfull enough to easily illuminate house numbers as I shoot it out my window as I'm driving down the street.

Well, what I need is a flash light that is small and handy and waterproof and shock proof! Any recommendation?

zander_0633 said:
Thanks Joker!

About the Surefire, is it easy to get a battery replacement as CR123A Lithium Batteries are uncommon and difficult to find around in shops.

Same question regarding about the Peli ligths and their [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 “CR123” Lithium batteries! Is it easy to find?

Is there any LED torch that uses AA or AAA battries?
[/FONT]
First, i have to say that CR123 and CR123A are thet same type of battries.
Second, you are living in Singapore and I am living in Germany, so how should I know where you can find these battries in Singapore??? Here in Germany you find them everywhere.

I don´t like LED lights exept the ones that you get as a keyring pendant to light your keyhole up. But Peli has a LED with 3 N cells that have a burning time of 150 hours, and thats a loooooooooooooooooong time. So you don´t have to think about replacing the batteries so quick.

If you just want a normal AA or AAA light you have to forget about the MagLite. I had a 2AA MiniMag and when i get my 2AA Peli Mightylite I stuff my MiniMag into the unexplored regions of my cars clove box and it was never seen again:mrgreen: .
A freind of mine has a 4AA Parat UK Light, also a great flashlight but a littel bit bigger. UK build also LED lights with AA batteries. The UK Light is made in Germany and i don´t found a english website. So i think you can not find it in Singapore.
Peli and UK are very popular and favored by a lot or maybe most firefighters in Germany.

Greetz Joker

Hey Joker, I've never seen or heard of the Peli brand of flash lights. Over here in the States, Surefire and Streamlight are the kings of the high output lights.

Well, I use two LED lights.

One is the Surefire X200A and the other is a L2 LumaMax.

Both are really strong lights. They take a licking and keep on ticking.

The Surefire LumaMax is a two mode LED light. The first mode uses only 1/5 of it's power. It produces 20 lumens. And the second mode goes to 100% of it's power. 100 Lumens.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/1141/sesent/00

The Surefire X200A is a wepaon mounted light. I have that mounted to my Glock 23C with a pressure switch. It's a two battery system and produces 65 lumens of light for one hour. Great for a combat pistol.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/313/prrfnbr/1110

As for the CR123 batteries. You more than likely can get them in Singapore. Many items are made there that use CR123 batteries. Digital Cameras are one of those items. And if you can't find them. Surefire and a ton of other combat flashlight companies will ship batteries to you.

Last edited:
5.56X45mm said:
Hey Joker, I've never seen or heard of the Peli brand of flash lights. Over here in the States, Surefire and Streamlight are the kings of the high output lights.

Hehe, I allways thought that Peli comes from the US, but that is not right. After reading your post I go to their Homepage and pressed the "Contact Us" button and Simsalabim they are from Barcelona, Spain!! That´s what I call a surprise.
They not only make Lights, they produce a lot of other stuff, you can look here:
http://www.peli.com/index.html
But what i know is that Peli is available in the US. Here is the Link:
http://www.copquest.com/15-0500.htm and here
http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/lights/
Haa, and another surprise in the US their name is not Peli, it Pelican!!!

Hey, your two Surefire look very nice. But you are able to use these lights for what they are made for, but for me here in Germany I can only light up the bushes.
Here in Germany Surefire is also the market leader especialy in law enforcement and military. The Surefire has the most Accessories.

But if you don´t need all these accessories (In Germany we are not allowed to mount a light to a gun) and you just need a bright flashlight, for little money, this is the right one. Btw, I bought it in German Ebay for 55 Euros and this is not "cheap" for just a flashlight. But normaly you pay about 70 Euros for thisone here in Germany. But i think its worth every cent.
Ohh and you don´t want to know what all the Surefire stuff costs here in Germany :bang:!!! :cen: :sick:

Greetz Joker

Last edited:
Well, thanks! Here in Singapore, Everyone only hear of Everyday light, the range of flash light that Everyday batteires make. Well, So far, I have only found one location in my country that sells Surefire.

BTW, joker, how come you said that Maglite is not that good? Which aspect of it is not good?

Pelican, I know of them. I use there cases for my firearms. I've never liked their lights but there cases are strong as steel.

And Maglite is a weak flashlight compared to the Surefire and Streamlight brand. A simple AA Cell battery just doesn't produce the amount of energy needed for a high output light.

Do you just want a small pocket flashlight to find your keys at night or are you looking for something to really see and if possible blind someone with. A Surefire G2 Nitrolon produces 65 lumens of light. That in of itself makes a nice weapon for personal protection. Surefire lights are designed to be used to blind your attacker so you can get the first blow. Other than that, they make great lights for everything else.

After I use a Surefire light, I don't even notice that a Maglite is on. That's how bright they are.

And lastly, the AA Cell Mini-Maglite is longer than a Surefire G2 Nitrolon.

Thanks! So you all are suggesting that I can buy a Surefire light. I am not sure what model I should buy. Can any one advise me? I want to use the flash light for Camping purpose. I will also be using it in some water condition and also over rough terrain. I would like the flash light battries to last for quite a long time too. Thanks!

I use Surefire only, but I don't know that you would want to pay 270 + bucks just to take one camping.

Any waterproof flashlight is going to run you some extra cash, too.

Check out the Surefire 8NX Commander, it might be a little more than you need, but you would find it very much to your liking.

5.56X45mm said:
Pelican, I know of them. I use there cases for my firearms. I've never liked their lights but there cases are strong as steel.
Why you never liked them??? The lights are made of polycabonate and have a lifetime guaranty same with the lights made of CNC-machined aluminum body like the M6. What do you think are their disadvantages exept for the little number of accessories for the tactical M6???

The cases are used here in Germany also by law enforcement, military, divers and hobby shooters.

And i was mistaken when i said Pelican is a Spanish company. My first guess, that Peli or Pelican is an US company was right.
Pelican was founded in 1976 by Dave Parker in Torrance,California.

@ Zander
What do you mean with "some water condition"??? Are you talking about use it in the rain or swim with it across a river?? I don´t know exactly, but i think that neither the Surefire nor the Pelican tactical lights can last long inside the water. But if you only use them in the rain or under your shower they will work.
BTW, joker, how come you said that Maglite is not that good? Which aspect of it is not good?
Because the 2AA Mightylite is much brighter than the 2AA Minimag!!! And the brighter light is because the Mightylite uses a Xenon lamp module while the Minimag uses a normal light bulb! I think that the technology of the Maglite is antiquated. The Maglite® flashlight was introduced in 1979, and from this point the technology was not enhanced. I still think that the 3D Maglite is a good thing because its also a good bat (i have one in my car) but it can not keep up with modern flashlights reference to the light it produces. I allways wondered why Maglite don´t over-worked their lights and for example put a Xenon lamp module into it??? But if they do it at any time I will buy one because than you have a bright light producing bat!!!

PJ24 said:
I use Surefire only, but I don't know that you would want to pay 270 + bucks just to take one camping
I agree with you, that was what I talked about in my last post. If you really need it and use the light for what its made for (like for you as a Air Force PJ), you can spend that money. If you only need it for freetime and only some times a year its just to expensive.

Greetz Joker

Last edited:
WEll, I go hiking about everyweek end and camping about once a month with my friends! WE also like to explore haunted houses and abondone buildings. So I need a torch that can do all that! I also need it to do temporary blinding! Any specific torch for me?

Ha, I rembered that i found a picture in german Ebay about 2 years ago with a Surefire and a Maglite. I searched in my pictures folder and found it again.
Here you can see the difference:
surefireg28dn.png

Greetz Joker

Back