Military enlistment

playstation60

I was wondering if someone could point me to a website that has the number of people enlisted in the military, the amount of the population not enlisted that is of age for service, and the amount of people that become eligible for service every year for Russian, North Korea, South Korea, Japan and the U.S.

Ben

Thanks

Hey, wanted to say thanks for the link. It's helped a bunch. Does anyone happen to know the number of people currently enlisted for the U.S.? The site didn't have information in that field. Just said N/A.

Also when it says Fit For Service, does that mean that is the number of people currently enlisted?

Ben

fit for service just means if they needed to be put into service then those are the numbers they have. i believe in the US the draft estimate was something like 22 million. in other words if we wanted to draft everyone who was qualified in that age group the US would have 22 million candidates. currently enlisted in the US i believe there are 1.4 million active duty, as of 2002 anyway.

Enlistment

If Fit For Service means the people that are of age and eligible for service what would the Available numbers be? The website you provided before gave a few different sets of numbers. Military Manpower Available, Fit for Service and Reaching Military age annually. Do you happen to know the difference between the catagories?

Also do you know of a site that will allow me to find out the approximate number of troops currently enlisted for the countries that were listed in a previous post? (U.S., China, Japan, N and S Korea and Russia)

Ben

Military manpower - fit for military service:
This entry gives the number of males and females age 15-49 fit for military service. This is a more refined measure of potential military manpower availability which tries to account for the health situation in the country and reduces the maximum potential number to a more realistic estimate of the actual number fit to serve.
Military manpower - availability:
This entry gives the total numbers of males and females age 15-49 and assumes that every individual is fit to serve.
Military manpower - reaching military age annually:
This entry gives the number of draft-age males and females entering the military manpower pool in any given year and is a measure of the availability of draft-age young adults.

it was on the page if you clicked on "definition" ;)

for other countries, you need to check some type of census bureau or intelligence site. i don't know how available those numbers would be for some countries.

Back