Military Channel.

AikiRooster

Tube Monkey USMC
This weekend on the military channel, they were showing some near future equipment that will be issued, utilized by the military personnel. One of the things that really caught my eye was this new outer uniform type of suit, similar to what the swat folks wear but more tech advanced. They were showing how the suit would be equipped with GPS and folks could see where you are, they could tell what your doing and what position your in, kneeling, standing, laying down. The daggone thing even does CPR ad other first aid, keeping troops alive until help arrives, the suit even showed the folks coming to assist what they should bring to help the fallen soldier/marine and where on the body the injury was and what type of injury, broken bone, shot, shrapnel, etc. From the what I saw when they were showing it, the suit looked a little like a MOP suit, minus the gas mask but there was a funky looking green helmet that looked a little like the one I wore when I rode the little bus to school with my drool bucket.

Sounds expensive. If they ever get around to paying for these types of suits, though, they'll do a lot more than tell you where your buddies are or administer CPR. They'll probably have that liquid metal that instantaneously hardens enough to take a bullet when you put an electric current through it, so you can have full-body protection with no penalty to mobility.

I read something like that. I think it's land warrior, although I'm not sure. I wish I had the Military Channel, I have crappy basic cable.

I read something like that. I think it's land warrior, although I'm not sure. I wish I had the Military Channel, I have crappy basic cable.

The Land warrior was/is just a backpack computer that has a monacle that the soldier looks through tied to his/her weapons sight. This allows them to shoot/look around corners without exposing themselves. Also gives their commanders the ability to micromanage.... I mean observe their progress and location. Biggest problem was battery life. I think that latest computing technology would enable this to be fielded cheaply and quickly. At least until the procurement system got involved.

Back