Military Berets worn by civilians

The_River

I see regular civilians wearing military issue berets all the time, is this illegal or improper, granted they don't usually have a flash on it, but still the concept of mixing military uniform with regular clothes is incorrect right?

Last edited:
Well, around here on our professional holidays we do that. Former paratroopers like me, on Airborne Troops day, often enough, wear our uniforms, though we are not in service anymore
Farewll_043.jpg

004zb6gb
1280737920_01000000.jpg
108279.jpg.700
1974701_1.jpg

689261.jpg
091.jpg
img_4818.jpg

0_437d2_765ccecd_orig.jpg

Not just us either

Marines do it too, on their Day
51974.jpg

Border Troops too
1069-34.jpg

Specnaz (Red Berets) have their Day too, but they celebrate quietly, at home, that's their way. :)

I see regular civilians wearing military issue berets all the time, is this illegal or improper, granted they don't usually have a flash on it, but still the concept of mixing military uniform with regular clothes is incorrect right?

Berets were civilian head-dress (the Basque region of Spain) long before they were ever adopted by military forces. It's only a problem if it's done with intent to deceive.
:pirate:

Beret's, fine. What really grinds my gears is when people wear DPCU. Once upon a time I worked hard to wear that uniform, why should some hippy be able to buy it and wear it because he thinks it looks cool? That has always pissed me off a bit!

Beret's, fine. What really grinds my gears is when people wear DPCU. Once upon a time I worked hard to wear that uniform, why should some hippy be able to buy it and wear it because he thinks it looks cool? That has always pissed me off a bit!

We have a store here, 'Oborona' ('Defense'), you can buy an sort of military outfits there, camouflage, vests, boots, you name it.
0001.jpg
0015.jpg

f20100611084104-20100316008.jpg
f20100611083919-20100316003.jpg

Any person can buy, served in the military or not. Store is very popular with hunters and also organizers of military summer camp for youth.

I'm a bit torn on the issue.

As a veteran, I like to believe that I have certain things (want of a better term) about me civilians haven't earned. Therefore, they should avoid attempting to wear anything I wear.

On the other hand, I use scrubs for pajamas. This doesn't mean I am a doctor or nurse poser trying to pretend.

Finally, berets aside, military gear and clothing is utilitarian and makes excellent garb to lounge around in, hunt or fish in, or even do yard work in.

When I was way young, I wore BDU pants not because I was trying to pretend to be a soldier, but because I respected soldiers and wanted to be like them. I don't see that as anything worthy of admonishment due to my intent. But how are we to know the intent of others?

Doesnt bother me.
Although looking at those Rusian picks, a Bronski Beat or Franky Goes to Hollywood soundtrack may be appropriate!

I never wear a hat except where compulsory under OH&S regulations, but as I seem to remember, berets were civillian attire before being adopted by the military.

So if that's what rocks your boat,... go for it.

Some people think that a ten gallon hat suits them whereas others feel more comfortable in a snap brim fedora. Personally, the one hat that gives me the sh!ts is the "baseball cap" worn by persons not playing baseball, even moreso, the idiots who wear them backwards or sideways. Even our cops are wearing them today, they look like they are schoolboys rather than Police. I think I might start a new trend, wearing one inside out and back to front

Last edited:
I never wear a hat except where compulsory under OH&S regulations, but as I seem to remember, berets were civillian attire before being adopted by the military.

So if that's what rocks your boat,... go for it.

Some people think that a ten gallon hat suits them whereas others feel more comfortable in a snap brim fedora. Personally, the one hat that gives me the sh!ts is the "baseball cap" worn by persons not playing baseball, even moreso, the idiots who wear them backwards or sideways. Even our cops are wearing them today, they look like they are schoolboys rather than Police. I think I might start a new trend, wearing one inside out and back to front

Thats called a Rally hat.:lol:

People were wearing berets long before the military started to wear them and I can't see any problem in that, PROVIDING that they don't have a Regimental or unit badge on them

I'm okay with berets worn by former military, aspiring military, or current military, nor by patriotic citizens. Or civilians wearing them in military celebrations and such. Yet the thought of teenage boys who play war games all day and think war is cool wearing berets, well, I would like to send them into Afghanistan just for 1 hour.....

I'm okay with berets worn by former military, aspiring military, or current military, nor by patriotic citizens. Or civilians wearing them in military celebrations and such. Yet the thought of teenage boys who play war games all day and think war is cool wearing berets, well, I would like to send them into Afghanistan just for 1 hour.....

Nah, just send them to bootcamp for a week, they'll grow tired of polishing boots and marching in line pretty quick. :p

I detest seeing berets worn in movies or TV shows that look like a helicopter landing pad.

I must admit, I did wish I was issued a pith helmet. Just call me Lofty, "It ain't half hot mum."

Last edited:
It's funny, I hated wearing the baret. Here in Texas, it was a hot wool blanket on your head and nothing to keep the sun out of your eyes. I understand it is as a badge of honor for special troops types, and I'm happy the U.S. Army has moved back from wearing it all the time. :cowb:

What about us ppl who collect (but not wear.. at least not in public) not only berets but also visor hats and/or helmets? how come it´s relatively easy to get these items?

Back