Military Bearing

-USN- Desicus

not sure if this is the right place to post this, and if it is not would a moderator please move it to the appropriate forums.

I have been tasked with writing an essay on military bearing, which as you know is a very very large topic. Despite the size of the topic i have been unable to find many resources pertaining to military bearing. Wikipedia, which generally has information, right or wrong, on everything, even draws a complete blank. I also wasnt able to find any instructions outlining proper military bearing, as military bearing can be applied to almost any situation, it is generally a foot note.

I have 2 paragraphs down taking up approximately half a page and i dont know how to continue.

Any input to alleviate my writers block would be greatly appreciated, be it from a website or from personal experience.

Thank you in advance.
- TK

I would have to see what you have written. Are you going after the meaning of military bearings, as in how it impacts ones life? Or is it "you salute this rank and stand at parade rest for this rank"?

what i have written so far. I also wanted to touch on the History of military Bearing and where it came from and of course i will add and edit and move sentences around to make it flow better, for now im just trying to brain storm and im drawing a pretty big blank. the topic is so broad, finding definitions for military bearing itself or a list of when military bearing applies is impossible because it governs literally everything you do or say in the military.

From the thousand yard stare to a well kept hair cut, military bearing is prevalent in every facet of military life, though military bearing is much deeper than just appearances; it is the cornerstone of any military career. Military bearing encompasses every facet of life in the military and can be applied to any situation. Military bearing itself is gleaned from several places such as, the articles of the UCMJ, The eleven general orders of a sentry, as well as our own Sailors Creed. From these guidelines one can learn to conduct oneself on a daily basis, on and off duty. To fully understand military bearing in its entirety, one needs to examine the building blocks of military bearing; the Navy Core Values.

Honor, Courage, and Commitment are referenced anywhere one goes in the military, from the day one takes the oath to the day one retires from the service. Honor has many definitions, but one stands out and exemplifies military bearing; Doing the morally right action even when no one is watching, and the integrity that one takes upon oneself in order to responsibly carry out the orders of ones superiors. Courage is the Ability to stand up for ones beliefs and ethics that the Navy has instilled in them, despite the danger to oneself. Commitment is the dedication that is illustrated in the performance of each and every military member in the day to day duties in the Navy. Without one of the core values, the other values would not exist, and without the core values, military bearing would not exist. To Navy service members, military bearing is a broad assortment of rules and ethics that govern ones every day life. For example, a clean and presentable uniform, knowing ones facing movements, how to respectfully address a senior officer, as well as being prompt for either General Quarters, quarters or watch.

Last edited:
I havent really made one yet :-(

im still working on it and im more in the research right now. just brain storming and throwing stuff down for now. going to put it all in the right order so it flows better when i put together my final draft.

i was thinking of writing it in relation to the navy core values, the UCMJ, the chain of command and the history of Military bearing.

The thesis statement should be the FIRST thing you write.
That is what your paper revolves around. If you don't have a thesis statement, it means you don't even have the slightest clue as to what your paper will be about.

Bearing is how to present yourself and how you comport your self. It's maintaining your composure and containing your emotions.

Military Bearing

...to carry out good discipline and ethics throughout ones military careers. The Eleven General Orders of a Sentry, The Articles of the UCMJ, as well as our own Sailors Creed illustrates how a military service member should conduct himself or herself on a daily basis, on and off duty.

John
Link Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Military bearing is more than outward appearance. The pressed uniform and close haircut and spit shined boots, back when black boots were worn, is motivated by pride in appearance. Your bearing comes from inside, it is pride of accomplishment, and a culmination of your experiences. I noticed a long time ago that there were differences in soldiers that could be felt when in their presence that depended on their experiences. A soldier who had never deployed overseas was different from someone who had, even if his deployment had only been to Europe, while there was a definite difference between those two and someone who had returned from a combat theater.

You can have tin soldiers with parade ground military bearing and you can have soldiers with the military bearing achieved through true confidence in themselves and their unit.

Back