Military Ball Questions - Page 2

--

April 11th, 2005  
bwoody

At my AJROTC Mil Ball (coming up this Friday,I'll post details later) we wear Class As, male and female cadets. The graduating cadets come out and walk through saber arches and are introduced and a little spiel is read about them. After that, we have speeches by the BC, XO, SAI and AI. Following that we do a changing of ranks ceremony where next year's staff (BC,XO,S1-S5 and CSM) go up and have their new ranks pinned on them by the current staff. After that, we hear a few more speeches from alumni whom we invite every year. Then we eat for about an hour. Then we party until about midnight.

Tomorrow I'll type up a copy of our Mil Ball schedule. But it's about an hour of formal speeches and stuff, then 4 minutes to change ranks. Then about 15 minutes of speeches. Then about 40-50 minutes to eat. Seeing as how we start at 6-7pm and end at 12-1am, it's a pretty good chunk of time.
April 11th, 2005  
c/Commander

Ugh I've just been informed by our Commandant that, since we have a battalion-sized unit now...I'll be moving to Cadet Commander for junior and senior years...which means there will be a speech involved. Grr. Any ideas?
April 11th, 2005  
>*CrAzY*<

Quote:
Originally Posted by c/LCDR
Ugh I've just been informed by our Commandant that, since we have a battalion-sized unit now...I'll be moving to Cadet Commander for junior and senior years...which means there will be a speech involved. Grr. Any ideas?

You guys are the bestest!!!!!!!!11!!!1!!!1111111
--
April 12th, 2005  
c/Commander

Well that should work.
April 13th, 2005  
silent driller

FOOD!!!THE BEST WAY TO PISS A MAN OFF IS TO NOT HAVE FOOD!!! TWO MORE OF MY CENTS... If I sound a bit irritated today, I'm hopped up on about 3 mugs of coffee. I got ants in my pants and I need FOOD.
April 14th, 2005  
IAmFighter

Thanks for all your help! This really has given me a big jump start. We've set the dress code as casual, since, as CrazyCadet pointed out, people got to dance. And the room is huge, believe me. We've got the DJ all set and we might also bring in a live band as well to play for part of it.

Don't worry, silent driller, we've got plenty of food. More importantly, plenty of GOOD food. It's being catered by one of the best restaurants in the area. Just have to figure out what exactly to serve. I'm thinking some kind of Italian pasta dish because pretty much everyone likes Italian food.

Best of all, NO SPEECHES!!! We're going to save all that stuff for a seperate awards night held later in May. So, we'll use that hour for eating, then it's dancing all night long!

If I've missed anything, please let me know. Also, keep the ideas rolling for anything I've mentioned. Like it or not, I have no creativity what so ever, so decoration ideas and stuff are good. But right now, everything is fair game. I'm definately one to admit when I've screwed up something and will change it ASAP if possible.
April 15th, 2005  
Sea_Cadet

Well our Military Ball is at Flagship, and that is strictly dress whites for all.

And In my opinion Rap should stay as far away from the stereo as possible, although I am told all there will be is Rap at flagship.
April 15th, 2005  
bwoody

Well while I agree speeches should be eliminated, or at least kept to a minimum, remember to do things such as toasts (the country, to the president, to fallen soldiers, to the corps of cadets) and the benediction and invocation. My battalion also does a seperate awards night, but we give out like 15 seperate medals each accompanied by a speech by whoever presents it, plus various ribbons and commendations and such. Plus a ceremony where the CSM, BC and XO all hand over control of the battalion. So we do a lot of speeches and stuff.

About the casual dress though. I think that, yes it's important that they be able to dance, but Mil Ball is short for MILITARY Ball, hence in uniform. I know that at my school you wear your uniform, full As until we eat, then you get to dress down to Bs for the rest of the night if you want. Most schools in the area allow the female cadets to dress in gowns as well, but not ours. So it's really up to what the AI and SAI will allow. I'll update Saturday morning after mine is over and I get back home.
April 15th, 2005  
>*CrAzY*<

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoody
Well while I agree speeches should be eliminated, or at least kept to a minimum, remember to do things such as toasts (the country, to the president, to fallen soldiers, to the corps of cadets) and the benediction and invocation. My battalion also does a seperate awards night, but we give out like 15 seperate medals each accompanied by a speech by whoever presents it, plus various ribbons and commendations and such. Plus a ceremony where the CSM, BC and XO all hand over control of the battalion. So we do a lot of speeches and stuff.

About the casual dress though. I think that, yes it's important that they be able to dance, but Mil Ball is short for MILITARY Ball, hence in uniform. I know that at my school you wear your uniform, full As until we eat, then you get to dress down to Bs for the rest of the night if you want. Most schools in the area allow the female cadets to dress in gowns as well, but not ours. So it's really up to what the AI and SAI will allow. I'll update Saturday morning after mine is over and I get back home.
Don't forget to toast the ladies!!
April 15th, 2005  
bwoody

I would, but my battalion has a "1 Meter Rule" meaning that when in uniform you're supposed to stay an arms length away...Which of course means that if I were to toast to the ladies (which I would love to do) I would be beaten to death by my SAI and AI.

"To the President of the United States"
-To the President!

"To fallen soldiers"
-To Fallen Soldiers!

"To the ladies 8) "
-Uhh...