MiG-31

Cuban Pride

It is said that the MiG-31 is the best interceptor aircraft the USSR had to offer. What are your thoughts on it?

And anyone know roughly how much one would cost? It was around $55 million when it was introduced in 1982.

Mig-31's a 70's design is now almost obsolete by today's standards. Back in the old days, sure it was a fine interceptor and meant business. Below is the most advanced version (Mig-31B) in widespread use today, with the three digitall/glass multi-function displays. Limited quantity later versions like Mig-31D and E also exist. E was ordered by Syria I think.

mig-31bn.jpg

Outdated

Syria did not order the E or any model Mig-31, that was a rumor only. There are 6 Rgmts with MiG-31B and BS in active service. (~200 ac)
Kotlas, Sawasllejka, Bolschoje Sawino, Kansk, Tschugujewka, Jelissowo
50 further as reserve in flyable condition and a further 100 stored at Lipezk. I don't think Mig-31 pilots get a lot of training hours because of the cost to run these beast nor do I belive there are 200 frames flably, but that's what I found checking around.

My personnel opinion Russia should retire this old cold war interceptor and convert to an all Flanker platform across the board. The days of launching this beast up and flying toward waves of B-52s are long , long gone. It can't fire it missiles at the reported high speeds nor can it turn. With its powerful but 70s era radar it become AIM-120 targets. It did go active in the early to mid 80s but most of the tech built in was from late 70s. Our AIM-120s can home in on radars and this small train size fighter can be seen from two country's away. The only useful thing it can do is run and it would be seen coming from a long way away, and then it would have to turn to escape and the rest is history.

mig-31 still one of the best interceptors in the world.
it has an enormous radar,and speed.

i think its cost now about 70 million dollars.

70s

Hi Bacara
I'm still hunting for Mig-31 information I'm just not finding much. This aircraft has a strong F-14/F-111 type following. I'll post anything I find.
icon14.gif

Seeing how basic the early model Su-27s are and what shape most Russia's aircraft are in I just can't see the Mig-31 being as good as most people think it is.

It's fast I'll give the design that and carries tons of fuel but to me it's still a B-52 killer. I can't see fighting against modern fighters at all and most of the so called long range Russian missiles are not operational. If the tech in their Flankers is 80ish and not well kept I can see the Mig-31s being any better. Most Russian fighter pilots get around 50 hours flying time or less. Most would be incapable of performing in real modern combat because lack of real training.

Just my two cents but I think Russia would be better off retiring this platform and standardized a modern Flanker fleet built off the Su-27M1 or the Su-35 types.

oh oh my favorite interceptor!!!!!!! :box:

i will provide you with the informations that prove it as the most powerfull interceptor in its generation.rather the best. :-D

many of mig-31 fighters have been upegraded into mig-31bm with upgraded avionics, new multimode radar liquid crystal(lcd) color multi-function displays (MFDs), ability to carry the AA-77 ADDER missile and various Russian air to ground missiles (AGMs) such as the as-17 (ARM), a new and more powerful computer, and digital data links.

The MiG-31 was the world's first operational fighter with a passive ellectronicaly scanned array radar, the zasloon 2-800. Its maximum range against fighter-sized targets is approximately 200 km (125 mi), and it can track up to 10 targets and simultaneously attack four of them.

The MiG-31M-, MiG-31D-, and MiG-31BS-standard aircraft have an upgraded Zaslon-M passive electronically scanned phased array radar (PESA) with larger antenna and greater detection range (said to be 400 km (250 mi) against AWACS-size targets) and the ability to attack multiple targets -air and ground- simultaneously. The back-seater's controls are replaced with modern MFDs. Its electronic countermeasure capabilities have also been upgraded, with new ECM pods on the wingtips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan_MiG-31

:bravo:

Back