Midway

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
I watched the movie Midway last night, it was (I thought) quite good. However, I'm not too clued up regarding the war in the Pacific, but it does look quite accurate from what I've read and watched on TV.

I watched the movie Midway last night, it was (I thought) quite good. However, I'm not too clued up regarding the war in the Pacific, but it does look quite accurate from what I've read and watched on TV.

I watched the Midway movie last night and I think it was pretty good. I was, however, pondering about what was wrong with the markings on the US planes.

I also watched the movie Beneath Hill 60. A movie about the tunnel company (Royal Engineers) placing huge mines beneath the German lines. It was pretty good

I watched the Midway movie last night and I think it was pretty good. I was, however, pondering about what was wrong with the markings on the US planes.

I also watched the movie Beneath Hill 60. A movie about the tunnel company (Royal Engineers) placing huge mines beneath the German lines. It was pretty good

I cannot say I noticed anything wrong with the markings on the US planes. The movie was far better and more accurate then the Dunkirk movie.

If I remember correctly the tunnel company were coal miners and given very little military training. There is still a live mine under the Canadian Memorial, but fortunately it gets inspected on a regular basis by British Army Officers

Last edited:
I cannot say I noticed anything wrong with the markings on the US planes. The movie was far better and more accurate then the Dunkirk movie.

If I remember correctly the tunnel company were coal miners and given very little military training. There is still a live mine under the Canadian Memorial, but fortunately it gets inspected on a regular basis by British Army Officers

George said in the thread 1917 the markings on the US planes were wrong and that got me to look at them. The US planes had a huge white star, I have seen early US planes with a huge white star on a blue background and the center of the star had a red dot. I don't know if that is correct marking. Anyway, the movie was surprisingly good, better than 1917 and Dunkirk (most movies are)

I took a closer look at the mining companies during WWI. The first ones were from Manchester and later all English dominions deployed miners, sewage workers, subway workers, and other people used to work underground. They were as you said not trained as soldiers, but they were at the western front to dig and place the mines under the German lines. Some of them didn't detonate, one detonated in the 1950s after a thunderstorm.

George said in the thread 1917 the markings on the US planes were wrong and that got me to look at them. The US planes had a huge white star, I have seen early US planes with a huge white star on a blue background and the center of the star had a red dot. I don't know if that is correct marking. Anyway, the movie was surprisingly good, better than 1917 and Dunkirk (most movies are)

I took a closer look at the mining companies during WWI. The first ones were from Manchester and later all English dominions deployed miners, sewage workers, subway workers, and other people used to work underground. They were as you said not trained as soldiers, but they were at the western front to dig and place the mines under the German lines. Some of them didn't detonate, one detonated in the 1950s after a thunderstorm.

As you are probably aware some of the ordnance left over from WW! has a nasty habit of blowing up. I read somewhere, experts have stated it will never be cleared away. I'm surprised the Germans didnt make a start when they invaded in 1940. All that explosive would come in handy for the resistance groups to make IED's

The planes still had the red circle at Midway. When they found the Yorktown recently they insignia looked just like they had just sunk and had the circle. At some point the red circle was dropped.

The planes still had the red circle at Midway. When they found the Yorktown recently they insignia looked just like they had just sunk and had the circle. At some point the red circle was dropped.

I see, you were right. It was a good movie.

The Beneath Hill 60 was quite good too. It was better than the 1917 movie, but that is my opinion

Back