Middle Eastern custom question

System Bolaget

I'm not sure whether this is the right forum for this but I have a question...

What is the significance of the shouting of ULULULULULULULULU!! ?

I have noticed on News reports that in Muslim areas when people get out in the street celebrating something they often shout this at the top of their lungs in a high pitched voice. it is often accompanied by the ringing of cowbells.

Is this of religious significance or is it merely a regional celebratory shout like YEE-HAW! is in the U.S. In another thread I asked this and was told that it was Alahu Akbar, but I'm telling you - what I am talking about is distinctly ULULULULULULU!! and clearly not Alahu Akbar. I have seen that as well. Perhaps some of the Middle Eastern members could chime in?

Thanks.

lol, nice question...

As far as I know, its mostly the older women who do it. Why? I dont know, maybe just as you said like yeehaw or something. It also has some historical relation back during the ancient times of the region..
me thinks :)

Check this out at the very bottom of page 28 (about India though).
As far as I can understand it seems that "ulululu" is used as an old custom by the Australian aborigines, by the old Indian/Bengali peoples as well as the Arab women. Couldn't find more, though.

Italian Guy said:
Check this out at the very bottom of page 28 (about India though).
As far as I can understand it seems that "ulululu" is used as an old custom by the Australian aborigines, by the old Indian/Bengali peoples as well as the Arab women. Couldn't find more, though.

Interesting, especially since Indians and Aboriginals are the same race as I understand it. It says the English word for it is "Uluation". If the connection to the Aboriginals is true, then it could be a truely ancient custom, actually.

"Ululation", yeah. Hope I can find more on the actual meaning, though I believe it is an expression of joy, like our "Hoorah" or similar.

Italian Guy said:
"Ululation", yeah. Hope I can find more on the actual meaning, though I believe it is an expression of joy, like our "Hoorah" or similar.

Interesting.. I thought they would 'chant' that out when someone died. I thought I'd heard that.. Learn something new each day.
good find.
peace,
Nachos

Now that you make me think of it, Nachos, it might be possible. Will be looking for some more info. You know I'm sure Sherman or some other Israeli member could tell us the exact meaning.

hmmm, about saying that for the dead.. umm I dont think that its very accurate but I might be wrong.
And as I said, its mostly the older females taken from ancient times..
Interesting question heh

one time I remember seing it was a clip they kepy playing of a woman doing it in the Palestine region right after 9-11.

What about the cowbells? They are always banging on those as well along with the ululation. Not the women shouting, mind you, but you can hear them as part of the general cacaphony. I mean there are louder bells. Does the cowbell have some sort of significance as well?

I think it's an Arab version of a redneck yell. You'll notice a propesity for wild discharge of firearms into the air along with the high-pitched ululation, similar to what you think of when a bunch of mullet heads with weapons get a face full of beer.

lol^ hmm, its mostly those kind of women who do it... old and nearly dead.. I dont know about the other regions and countries though.. but it just means that they are happy and full of joy.

I dont know about the bells though... maybe sometimes but not that I have seen around.. :)

Nachos said:
Interesting.. I thought they would 'chant' that out when someone died. I thought I'd heard that..

If you draw the line to African tribes you find the same chant when preparing for battle or similar situations that can be seen as stressfull.

hmm, African peoples might have used it in battle.. but its the men who fight right? heh, because men dont really say it, but Africa might be different..

System Bolaget said:
one time I remember seing it was a clip they kepy playing of a woman doing it in the Palestine region right after 9-11.

What about the cowbells? They are always banging on those as well along with the ululation. Not the women shouting, mind you, but you can hear them as part of the general cacaphony. I mean there are louder bells. Does the cowbell have some sort of significance as well?

I seen that too. Nothing like the sound of a cowbell unmistakable sound indeed.

Back