Middle East and Muslim manufacturing capabilities?

--

December 10th, 2004  
gladius

Topic: Middle East and Muslim manufacturing capabilities?

Saddam Hussein had proven that you really don't need the overall manifacturing capabilities to build up a large, well equiped army, too bad for him his soldiers didn't really have the will to fight, not to mention we had him totally outclassed (but that's another story).

My question is, does anyone in the region or any Muslim country manifacture any type of weapons or combat vehicles at all? Either their own or through lisence.

Iran is suppose to be coming up with their new Shafaq light/stealth fighter, with the first one slated to roll in 2008. What are the oppinions on how good this plane will be?

Also during the Russian war in Afganistan, Stinger missles were aquired by Iran from the Afganis, these were then sent to China on a tech exchange program, with the Chinese copying them. Does anyone know if the Chinese gave the manifacturing capabilities of these Stinger copycats to the Iranians, or do the Iranians just buy them from China?

What about the Sunburn, are they looking to manifacture this or just buy a few?
December 10th, 2004  
AussieNick

Personally I think Iran is the only nation that has a current self sustaining ability in terms of military equipment. They may not make it right now, but they could. I believe that Saudi Arabia and Jordan also could have the ability.
December 10th, 2004  
Trevor

I hear that they are provided with Hokum, Havocs and HInds from the Cold War era. Is this true? If so, who is providing them with them?
--
December 11th, 2004  
AussieNick

If you can buy T-72 tanks on the internet, I don't think they'd have a problem finding a supplier for choppers. Providers could be Russia or ex-soviet nations, or nations such as Syria.
December 11th, 2004  
Trevor

I doubt it would be russia. You're most likely right about ex-soviet nations. Possibly Turmenistan, Kyrgistan or Tajikistan.
December 11th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Why does everyone always forget Turkey?? They're as well equipped to manufacture their own arms as most European nations -- and yeah, they're Muslim. That and the former Soviet states are the Muslim nations that can get it done. The rest of Islam doesn't bother developing the capacity for whatever reason.

Saudi and Jordan are obvious. They lack the manpower to adequately produce for themselves, but plenty of money. The solution is obvious: Buy American, buy French, buy British, buy buy buy.

Of your core Islam nations, Iran and Pakistan are the most capable of making their own arms. By "core Islam nations", I'm intending the nations that seek to build the Koran into their government are are heavily controlled by Islam, etc.
December 11th, 2004  
A Can of Man

The reason why Turkey is ignored in this argument is that they're kicking and screaming to be allowed into the EU. They're not going to blow it away by being weapons suppliers to countries deemed dangerous by them.
December 11th, 2004  
rOk

Egypt.

I don't know if they are able to be self-sufficient (probably not) but they are putting good effort in it.
December 11th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Id say the two only countrys that can self manufacture serious hardware hardware are Egypt and Iran.
January 14th, 2005  
EOD

What about Indonesia and Pakistan?

Here a short introduction to products of

Iran
http://www.diomil.com/

Pakistan
http://pofwah.com.pk/