Michael Yon - Gates of Fire

Wow what a story.

It is nice to see some comments (at least this one) that is about events rather than their own views and opinions (yes I know it IS a blog afterall). I am sure that within the fog of war it is accurate. I am amazed that the Lt and Spec didn't get in there and take action. Wonder what happened to them. . .

Michael is a cool cat, very good guy and down to earth. He's a former Army SF guy, so he already had the mindset and right perspective, and he's very pro-troop.

PJ24 said:
Michael is a cool cat, very good guy and down to earth. He's a former Army SF guy, so he already had the mindset and right perspective, and he's very pro-troop.

I was wondering about that. In his writing it seemed he was pretty level headed rather than panicky like I seem to see some writers be. At least as far as they write their stories. It kinda made me wonder if this guy had some kind of training or if he was a wannabe Rambo. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I have not used or fired the M4. Is it really that bad? A guy takes 3 rounds or so to the torso and keeps on truckin'?

Marinerhodes said:
I have not used or fired the M4. Is it really that bad? A guy takes 3 rounds or so to the torso and keeps on truckin'?

Without getting into the whole ballistics debate and bring down the rath of the anti-5.56ers; there are sometimes where the bad guy just doesn't give up, but I'd have to say more times than not he goes down. I don't really think it's the M4, just the round that sometimes does funny stuff. I've seen guys take hits and keep trucking with both the 5.56 and 7.62 from various platforms. Mostly, it is either a result of using the wrong tool for the job (ie. distance, too far/too close or wrong gr. bullet), just one of those flukes, or the guy really has a will to live and enough adrenaline to carry a dump truck.

His statement about the M4 being "weak" really isn't fair or accurate, though.

Any guy that can keep trucking after getting his testicle blown off obviously has something to accomplish.

I would have to agree there lol. I guess range would be a big factor. From the description these guys were point blank pretty much. Just about any rifle would go through and through and not have alot of knockdown/back power.

Back