Is this mermaid real ??

From that article, just further on:

Not to be pedantic about it, but mermaids — supposedly half-fish, half-human creatures who live in the sea and lure enamored sailors to their death — are a staple of myth and legend going back thousands of years. They don't exist.

On the other hand, there is a related tradition of slightly more recent origin, perhaps dating back 1,500 years, which consists of manufacturing fake mermaid carcasses for public display out of the body parts of dead monkeys and fish. The photographs you have just seen exemplify such a hoax.

Another specimen still in existence was fabricated in Japan and said to be 1,400 years old. Yet another, and certainly the most famous, is P.T. Barnum's Feejee Mermaid, an artifact purchased secondhand by the great showman in the mid-1800s and exhibited throughout the United States as a sideshow attraction. There is an uncanny similarity between all of these examples.

The glaring irony in all this mermaid fakery, however, is that the mummified specimens typically displayed are, without exception, hideous in appearance — "the incarnation of ugliness," as one American critic described Barnum's creature — while the classic mermaid of folklore and popular culture is invariably depicted as beautiful and alluring. It's a discrepancy no one ever bothers to explain.

Update: These same images circulated again in early 2005 in an email claiming the carcass was found washed up on a beach in Chennai, India in the wake of the Indian Ocean tsunami of December 26, 2004.

heh thats good to read AJ :)

Cabal and Sevens. Its hideous in the extreme yea, but I still think its kind of scary. I mean, imagine this face poping out at you in the middle of a lone dark night. sCaRy @_@

:p

It's fake, of course. Ghost are real but Mermaid are just BS. But that pic is creepy. :)

You're right, Mighty, I can't help it....every girls in this world love me. hmm...sadly. But I gotta pick one special girl.

:shock: ....
Thats amazing!

would be really cool if it was actually a mermaid. hmm. or merman ha ha:)

Last edited:
^I think she likes you :?

w00000t w0000t!!! FINALLY:shoothea: bam!

I die a happy man... with a fish for a wife.... I smell now...

edit: saw that the post wasn´t for me.... lol.... I die alone then... not smelling of fish, but rather the stink of shitting my pants after death occured....

w00000t w0000t!!! FINALLY:shoothea: bam!

I die a happy man... with a fish for a wife.... I smell now...

edit: saw that the post wasn´t for me.... lol.... I die alone then... not smelling of fish, but rather the stink of shitting my pants after death occured....

you are nasteh :shoothea: :santam16:

Dude,that is sick....^I think you would have a good chance at her Mighty then Fox would because you really could use a girl.

Back